Mold??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquamar38

Reaction score
I want to do some home improvement projects but want to know how to fix the issue that I am sending pics. I want to use hardware to put up window furnishings but want to know how to fix the problem on the wall before I start this project

2013-03-02 12.59.33.jpg

2013-03-02 12.59.23.jpg

2013-03-02 12.59.10.jpg

2013-03-02 12.59.02.jpg

2013-03-02 12.58.57.jpg

2013-03-02 12.58.53.jpg

2013-03-02 12.58.44.jpg

2013-03-02 12.58.49.jpg

2013-03-02 12.58.39.jpg

2013-03-02 12.58.32.jpg

First question is...is this a concrete/block wall? Or is it a wooded/ sheetrocked wall?

Also....You need to control the water on the outside to go away from this area, regardless of what the wall is made of. Probably have to fix a gutter or downspout so this problem does not come back..

I do not think this is mold from the pictures, I think it is effloresence on concrete. Lets hope the walls are concrete...:D

It is most defiantly efflorescence in the concrete or mortar used to patch in around the window and then covered with thick paint. There was water at some time acting with the salts in the mortar causing it. Chances are if you scrape it off and repaint it will come back in time. Dig it out and clean with a mild acid and you will have a better idea what is in there bricks or concrete etc. then you can chip it out and replace with a better product. As mentioned above take a look and see if water is getting in from the outside also.

efflorescence, indicates moisture. The wrong paint, dust on the wall and wood in the area all a food sources for mold. To say there is no mold is not a responcible statement. It should still be checked.

Nealtw is correct there could be mold also. Diagnosing the main problem should never rule out secondary problems. If you look closely at the wood trim you can see spots that could be mold. Most old structures that have any kind of water intrusion problems most likely will have some mold to deal with. Likewise the old paint that will be getting removed could contain lead and the cracks could contain some kind of asbestos insulation etc. If it’s a DIY project always error on the side of caution and wear at min a dust mask and goggles when digging into a problem like this. Shop vac as you go and try and keep the dust down.

One of my pet peeves is there are a lot of building shows on tv now geared to the DIYer. And they always make a big deal about the demo and hand the homeowners a sledge hammer and have them smashing away like crazy people. That’s about the stupidest way to demo something and makes a mess 10 times as big to clean up. But it does make for good tv.

Latest posts

Back