How do I do laminated on stairs that are 2x8?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannieboiz

Reaction score
I'm helping someone doing a house that have stairs that are just 2x8 boards creating the steps. How would I go installing laminated floors on these?

I talked to my brother who is an installer. He said you can sometimes "bend" the back (test your laminate first) or go with a "coved look" which is a smooth curve (but need a good eye for a consistent and straight line). Otherwise you use metal "L" in the back. The bullnose can be a metal (you need to square the wood off). If you glue and round over the end, you need to screw the underneath and use weights to keep the laminate down. This is very difficult and often people end up with bubbles or areas that pop up. Best to keep it squared and plan on using pieces with metal finished edges. This is all second hand...and could be discussed where you are buying the laminant. He said to keep in mind that most of it is not designed to be installed with curves and bends...flat surface installation!!

When I did this, I went with the aluminum bullnose trim that is screwed to the stair edge. It looked very good and you can trim them with a hacksaw and file. Always talk with your flooring supply house about any problems you don't know how to deal with. They will teach you all you want to know and after a couple floor jobs, you will be an expert on how to handle different situations.

Latest posts

Back