Question on basement floor prep

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbphburg

Reaction score
I've removed carpeting and scraped up as much of the rubber pad that they'd glued to the floor (thank god that's done!), and now it needs to be cleaned further for painting. What should I rent, a floor grinder or floor polisher? Or something else.

Adhesive remover and a scrub brush. Oh, and a 20 yr olds back ;)
Some folks prep concrete floors with muriatic acid as a wash, but read your label and use caution.

You could skip most of that prep work if you acid stain your floors instead of painting them. You can get an Acid Stain Overlay Kit and acid stain from www.DCsurfaces.com . Acid stain is pretty easy to do, fairly quick (2-3 days of not too much labor), and VERY cost effective. You can acid stain your own floors for about $1/sq. ft. When the final clear sealer is rolled onto the floor, it is stain, water and mildew resistant...and of course BEAUTIFUL! DCsurfaces reps are available for tips and how-tos over-the-phone or via e-mail.

Acid BC Show.jpg

Marigold acid stain 006 text.JPG

acid stain lib 02.JPG

I agree with acid staining if you don't want to tile the area.
Paint will get marked up fairly easy over concrete and eventually chip and peel.
Why not tile the area?
Makes for a nice finished basement.

so i dont have to take the old adheshive up to acid stain. i have taken peel and stick tiles up and looking for options...I thought i would carpet tile some areas,but other areas need to do something else due to some water when it rains real hard....

Tgiblin1; Welcome to the site. You should start a new posting, most of these people havn't been around for years.

Back