Deck Cleaner Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMark

Reaction score
Hi
I have a fairly large pressure treated deck. In the past I,ve always used Thompson regular waterproofing and applied it yearly. I,ve done this with other decks as well. It seems if you apply yearly you do not get a build up like a varnish that would flake away. Its almost as the sun and elements would wear it away to a point where you could just reply.
A couple of years ago I tried their New Advanced formula that claimed i could get 3 to 5 years out of it. Big mistake!! it was thick and difficult to apply and left a blotchy appearancer.
I would now want to apply a deck cleaner and pressure wash it off then just reapply the regular waterseal once more. What cleaner would you suggest?

OP,
Check out Behr or Cabot deck stripper. I had good results with both.

Google DIY Deck cleaner ... you will find a bunch.. I just did mine today using homemade solution

I used the General Cleaner in these instructions and also added Borax to this mix ... It worked well... Get yourself a Deck Cleaning brush and screw on a broom handle or paint extension handle to scrub the solution into the boards..
http://tipnut.com/deck-cleaners/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back