Sqeeky Floors...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuworker

Reaction score
I have a small 1970's ranch in Central Pa, that we got suckered into about 5 years ago. The floors are plywood covered with carpet or vinyl. The problem is that the floors in the entire house make noise whenever anyone walks on them. Of course the heavier you are the more you hear. It's worsening with time, and now to the point of driving me crazy.

I am only an amateur with house repair and looking for any ideas on how to fix, or even lessen the problem (if at all possible), short of ripping everything up. My wife had a stroke, and can't work anymore, so I'm looking for any cost effective way to treat or repair the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Bill from Duncansville, PA.

I've never tried it myself but I understand the screws designed for this are very effective, assuming you can find the joists. The screws are specially designed with a score-line where you can snap off the remainder of the screw after it is driven the proper depth. From what I understand, you can use them right through the carpet. You can find them at McFeely's, among other places.

I had some floors that also squeeked, I found this tool called Squeeeeek No More at HD. You find the floor joist and screw in special screws through the carpet and snap them off. It worked for my floors. They also sell it on Amazon.

Sorry Tool Guy, I didn't read you post

That's quite okay. I didn't know a kit was available at Home Depot and Amazon. I have no vested interst in McFeely's, just happend to know they stock the screws. ;)

Back