"Master" bath remodel.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice progress, are you going to seal the marble? Usually a good idea, keeps those strange rust spots away.
Nice.:)

Nice progress, are you going to seal the marble? Usually a good idea, keeps those strange rust spots away.
Nice.:)

We sealed the marble on Sunday. Used 511 Miracle natural stone sealer, which was recommended by the tile place. My wife tested it yesterday by putting some water on the tile and grout. She let it sit for about 30 minutes and then wiped it up. The floor didn't absorb any of the water, and left no discoloration. :cool:

We installed a "room occupancy" light switch to pass inspection (it's a code item). Once finalled, we've got a push button switch for the light, and an electronic timer for the fan that will have an Oil Rubbed Bronze cover plate to match the dup outlets. It was really difficult to find an electronic timer in black, but some friends of ours run a lighting shop, and they were able to get one made by Lutron :)

We placed the vanity last night. The room seems much smaller now...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Well, I talked with the marble counter top people today. I was hoping to get a backsplash that matched the bottom detail on the vanity because of the location of the outlets relative to the vanity top (drawing below), but as it turns out this could be rather expensive. If it offsets the cost of the lip they were going to add to the perimeter to make it look 1.5" thick (but decided not to add), I think I could justify it.

If it's prohibitively expensive, I may try something a little different.

What would you think about a Mahogany Backsplash on the White Carrerra Marble top???:confused:

IMG_4087.JPG

backsplash.jpg

Sometimes I learn something from those pain in ....decorators...:confused: .
We had an issue with outlets in the wrong spot...we raised them to sit on the back splash with old work boxes.
Or you can get decorative...designer wise...and build a back splash out of tile. You could let it incorporate your mirror with an arch on top.
Stay away from the funny fixes...they stand out. JMHO.:D

So we decided to go with no backsplash. I'll mock up a wooden backsplash and see if we like it. The counter top company had a couple of pictures of vanities with stone tops and wood backsplashes, and they looked really nice..:cool:

Remember the old tub? It was painted mustard yellow and the feet were painted white. We had the feet refinished in ORB and painted the tub dark green to accent the walls and add more color to the room...

I think the picture doesn't show the dark green very well...

tub before.jpg

tub after.jpg

I FINALLY got the countertop ordered. There was some mis-communication between me and the countertop company. They couldn't find a partial slab, so I have to buy a full slab, which added quite a bit to the top. I asked if they could just bring the rest of the slab to me and I'll drop it in my yard until I decided what to do with it. They said it would be too heavy, blah, blah...but they could cut other parts from it for $35/sq.ft. polished edge, delivered. I'm not sure what I want to use it for right now, so that wasn't going to work.

Then I finally talked to the guys that do the work. They said no problem to cut the rest of the slab into three pieces like I show below at no extra charge. And, since I changed the edge detail to be just a 3/4" polished edge, the price dropped considerably.

Now I'm just waiting for them to come over and measure the top...

The tub is ready to go up and be installed, so is the toilet. I've got two buddies on the hook to help move the tub upstairs. I'll be sure to take pictures of that for insurance purposes :eek:

Countertop Cut sheet.jpg

Well, today is sort of a big day for the remodel. This evening a couple of friends are coming over and we're moving the tub upstairs :eek:

I finished putting all the valves on the pipes this weekend. The countertop people made a template for the vanity top on Friday, so that should be done in a couple of weeks.

The tub getting upstairs will be interesting. We have to stand it up on end at the landing of the stairs to get around the corner... I've attached a couple of pictures to show what we're up against. One from the bottom, and one from the top. The only railing that has been installed at this point is the top section that goes around the corner on the landing. The rest of the railing is still being refinished in the garage...

Our plan (yeah, that's going to make a difference) is to bring the tub up drain end first, and when the feet are on the top step (on the landing) tip the other end of the tub up so it's standing on end. Then we'll slide it over and lower it back down and carry it up the rest of the way. :eek: I'll give the wife the camera and let her take some pics of this all happening...:eek:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Well, we made it up the stairs and the tub is now in the bathroom! :D

Best of all....NO INJURIES!!!

We had two people at the top, one at the bottom (the strongest of the three of us). We took it about two steps at a time, tipped it up on end at the landing, slid across, lowered it back down and carried it up the rest of the way. Just like we planned it.

We put it in the bathroom, but I haven't taken the wrapping off the feet or placed it on the coasters.

I hope to have the tub and toilet plumbed and operable in the next day or two. Then it's time for a good long soak :cool:

Finally remembered to bring the camera in so I could post a few pictures.

The tub went in fine, but I'm taking my time cutting the drain tube extensions...don't want to cut them too short :eek:

Here are a few pictures of my progress showing the tub with tower drain and faucet, coasters for the claw feet, and the "nook" for the toilet brush...

I should have the tub completed and the commode in by the end of the week. finally getting close to done :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Looks great, having that relaxing picture is good enough.:D
I have always wanted to install one of those outside....hmmm....:)

Has your building inspector seen it yet? You know you have a cross connection of potable and waste water with the filler below the rim of the tub...just don't want you to have any suprises if they show up...or for resale.

Has your building inspector seen it yet? You know you have a cross connection of potable and waste water with the filler below the rim of the tub...just don't want you to have any suprises if they show up...or for resale.

Nope, they don't come out until it's all done. I'm a bit concerned about that, but our inspector seems to be more interested in our having smoke alarms in all the bedrooms than having working GFCI's or a dedicated circuit to the room :eek:

There's really nothing else I could have done with the fill. The spout is above the wastewater overflow because of the offset faucet, but that's the best I could do with this tub.

The only other option would have been to replace the tub with one that has NO faucet holes and have the faucet above the rim of the tub, like the one shown on the first page of this thread.

Resale is not too much of an issue around here. We purchased the house "as-is" knowing that there were problems. In fact, most of the old houses sold on this side of town are sold "as-is"

I like the old style clawfoot....at least it's not an old wooden tub you dump water in.:D :D
Enjoy.

Yeah, me too. Our old bathtub was about 12" deep, 20" wide, and only 54" long (inside)

I'm not a tall person, but I could not take a good bath in that darn thing.

The new tub is 18" deep, 26" wide and 64" long (inside). Enough for two :rolleyes:

I got all the plumbing connected and had NO LEAKS! That was probably a first for me.

Tonight the wife gets to take a soak...

Spoke too soon :eek: Got one leak I'm having trouble with, but I think I'll get it soon.

Went out to the marble fab house yesterday to do the lay out of template on the slab...I had thought that the slab was going to be 4' X 8', but it's more like 6' X 10' :eek:

It does have some problems around the edges, so the "workable" area is probably 5 X 9 or so.

I think they'll be cutting it in the next couple of days :D

One more project off the list :D

The marble was cut the day after we did the template layout. They called on Thursday and asked if they could install Friday :eek:

I was at work when they installed it. Only my wife was home. She said they did a pretty good job of keeping things clean and not dingin' up the walls. I had to touch up a couple of areas in the beadboard that they scuffed with the jigsaw, but that was all. They said to let it sit 24 hours before I did any plumbing (to let the silicone dry).

The marble top on the vanity turned out to be 1/4" deeper (front to back) than I wanted, or the template reflected. The door passes within 1/4" of the top...phew!

I got all the plumbing done Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

I haven't made the threshold for the room yet. I'm going to make something from the same Mahogany as the vanity (I have some left over).

Enjoy!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

more...............

The white light switch will go away after final. It's an occupancy sensor switch per code. The other part of that plate (that just looks black) is a timer switch (custom order from Lutron) for the fan.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Very nice completed job. :)

For a DIY project it was a challenge I'm sure, but you shared it and showed everyone what a little hard work looks like.:D

Congratulations.;)

Very nice completed job. :)

For a DIY project it was a challenge I'm sure, but you shared it and showed everyone what a little hard work looks like.:D

Congratulations.;)

Thanks!

This project was actually more challenging than my wine cellar. The roof lines and everything being out of square made it much more difficult. At least with the wine cellar I constructed the whole room, so if it was out of square, it was my fault...

The most challenging aspect of this project was the electrical. I consulted with a good friend who is a licensed electrician, and he gave me some pointers. With that, and some advice from this board, I was able to get the job done.

Just got a call from the wife. We passed the final :D

Not that I didn't expect to, but there were a few questionable items that I didn't want to have to deal with...

She said he walked in, tested the first GFI he saw, looked at the shower head, opened one of the cabinets, and that's all she wrote ;)

Back