chimney problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britny1

Reaction score
I just bought a house that was chopped and changed by an idiot,my question is regarding the brick built chimney that runs from ground level to second floor.I am guessing the chimney was built in 1990 looks to be in good shape pointing etc however there is one problem.When they constructed the chimney they built it over the vinyl siding!!!!!From what I can see the brick structure overlaps siding on each side by about 5 inches,do you think this is safe:(?I will try to post some pics tomorrow,thanks

What is on the inside of the chimney? Is there a clay flue liner? What do you have going into it? Does the brick go along the house side? later paul

I'd really like to see a pic of this. Outside, inside, and attic views would be of help. Also, what kind of fireplace is this, a prefab or a true masonary chimney?

Here are some pics of the chimney,on top there is a clay ??flue,I assume that runs all the way through chimney,picture 54 shows where i cut siding and foam insulation away,I have same concerns on the inside they have constructed fireplace over sheetrock,with a screwdriver i can wiggle the brick structure inside!!!:mad:

house 052.jpg

house 053.jpg

house 054.jpg

house 055.jpg

house 056.jpg

Curious as to why you removed the siding and ISO board. Was there a leak? As far as safe, is shouldn't be a concern being as to the mass from the flue pipe to the siding. It looks to be a true masonry chimney from the pics provided. My concern would be making a water tight transition from the siding to the brick at this point.

The siding has to be replaced,the previous owner was a dog breeder had about 20 labs there and they ripped siding off.So structually it should be fine we just need to make sure there is a water tight seal betwwen siding and masonry

Is there brick on the back side against the house. A lot of guys put a flue at the top of the chimney to make it look good, but they don't run it all the way down, Its what we call a dummy liner. You need to get a lite down the chimney and see if the liner goes all the way down. later paul

Is there brick on the back side against the house. A lot of guys put a flue at the top of the chimney to make it look good, but they don't run it all the way down, Its what we call a dummy liner. You need to get a lite down the chimney and see if the liner goes all the way down. later paul

From the pic of the fireplace, theres no brick on the back wall. OP,do you see a metal flu pipe extending up towards the roof?

From the pic of the fireplace, theres no brick on the back wall. OP,do you see a metal flu pipe extending up towards the roof?
My question was, does that clay liner that i see coming out of the top go all the way down or is it just a dummy clay liner, put there to hold a cap.
If it had a metal liner you could see that at the top. Later Paul

Latest posts

Back