1/2 inch thick exterior panel ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowolive2000

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm residing a cabin that has 1/2" (actual) thickness, 4' X 8' wood panel exterior. I was going to replace it with painted 19/32 LP SmartSide panels but no one carries it within 300 miles of St. Louis. All the trim, windows and doors are set for 1/2" exterior siding. Fiber cement panels are too thin. Anyone have ideas for 1/2" panels that will require infrequent painting? I want to avoid shimming all the studs with .3125 SmartSide panels.
Thanks

KO

Might be looking having to apply a layer of 1/4" ply before installing the smartside panels.

Post a picture. I'm not getting where the problum is. We need to see what type trim you have around the windows.
Why are you doing this, is the old T-111 rotted?
Are you thinking about using the Smart Side 4 X 8 panels or the lap siding?

Your old plywood is adding structure to the building. Replace bad peices wrap the house and put on siding of your choice. Add 3/4" by what ever to the door and window frames to make the trim work.

That way there would be less chance of future rot and no more painting the trim.
You would to choices, build out with vinyl lumber or hire someone with a break to bend the metal.
Comes out about the same price.

Latest posts

Back