A solution for doorbells you can't hear?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biz123

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem: doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3 modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo" doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.

". . . doorbells you can't hear"

A relay with a high impedance coil controlling a much larger 120v doorbell?
Relays have "current gain" so find one that has a high ratio of
contact current rating/coil current rating.

This spec

"The NFPA 72 requirement for sleeping rooms is either a minimum of 75 dBA or 15 dB over the average ambient sound level, whichever is greater."

is probably for 1 meter distance. You lose 6 dB for each doubling of distance.

"Near total silence - 0 dB
A whisper - 15 dB
Normal conversation - 60 dB
A lawnmower - 90 dB
A car horn - 110 dB
A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB"

and an airbag comes in at 175 dB and probably deafens you while it saves your life.

Last edited:
Add a key pad so the person at the door can enter his or her ph # so the homeowner could call him right away and tell him to go away or ??

Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem: doorbells you can't hear.

Wait, is "doorbells you can't hear" the problem, or the solution? They are not loud enough is the problem? Or the problem is you don't want to be able to hear them?

". . .that solves a common problem: doorbells you can't hear. "

The relay can also control a flashing light.

Last edited:
Back