Possible Vent Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlblaser

Reaction score
I Have a double wide with a big bathroom and a small bathroom the small bathroom has a smell like something died in it. I cut the insulation away on the bottom of the bathroom thier was nothing under it. Could it be a cloged vent causing gases to come back in the house or a dead mouse since we have cats i have never seen a mouse but the smell is strong in the bathroom.:confused:

The P-trap in the sink and/or shower may have dried up and is allowing sewer gas to backdraft. Simply run the sink and shower for a few minutes to refill the P-trap. If this bathroom isn't used that often, make it a point to run the water for a few minutes, every couple of weeks.

Another thought would be a bad wax ring on the toilet allowing sewer gas to seep out around the toilet.
However, these types of homes are notorious for having the drain pipe fall of the connection to the toilet under the home.

when i tore off the insulation everything was dry including the toilet drain

Hello RLBlaser:
Manufactured housing builders sometimes use a mechanical vent rather than vent to the outside. You will find the mechanical vent under a sink just kinda sticking up there by itself. It will have a top on it and slots in the sides of it, there is a spring mounted stopper inside it that allows the discharge to pull air in behind it to keep down the gurgling. The spring rusts out and the vent stays open, allowing odors. Normally you can just unscrew the mechanical vent, take it to a mobile home parts house and get a new one.
Glenn

We've had some high winds, and that can actually cause some back-drafting of sewer gas. If it's not a mechanical vent problem the toilet ring could be the culprit even if it's not wet around the area. Water can go down, but gas can still escape a small void, esp. with the wind helping change the pressure.

Back