Dishwasher not draining completely

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cougar_67

Reaction score
Hi
The house I'm renting has a GE dishwasher (model GSD400T-48WA). At the end of a complete cycle, there is quite a bit of (mostly dirty) water in the bottom - it comes up to the bottom of the lower rack. At one point, I siphoned the water out by hand and got about 3 gallons. I then ran the dishwasher again and once again it was full of water.
If I leave the water in there and run the machine, I end up with the same amount of water as before. So it appears that it's trying to drain - just not fast enough or completely.
It appears that all plumbing connections were made from below as there are no hoses leading from the dishwasher to the sink drain. (no disposal, single sink).

Is this most likely a problem with the dishwasher drain or pump? Or is it more likley related to the drain pipe it dumps into?
thanks
Steve

Welcome Steve:
The dishwasher probably only holds 3 gallons of water and is not pumping any water out at all. If it were pumping water out and more was coming in you would end up with clear rinse water. I think your pump is gone, or else the timer is not turning the pump on to drain. However, if you can hear the pump running during the cycle, then the drain is probably blocked.
Glenn

Thanks guys!

I found many chunks of unrecognizeable items in the drain "bucket" - including a few things that had no earthly reason to be inside a dishwasher.

working fine now - thanks again.

Steve

If you have a GE dishwasher, it is possible that the check valve located in the rear of the dishwasher is damaged. Remove the screen filter located on the back wall on the bottom of the dishwasher and unscrew the valve. The rubber seal may be worn or damaged causing the water to recirculate rather than discharge. Part cost is about $15. Hope this helps.

There is a rubber part on the top of the check valve that leaks after it ages, letting some water back into the dishwasher. To see how it works, here are photos.

Thanks guys!

I found many chunks of unrecognizeable items in the drain "bucket" - including a few things that had no earthly reason to be inside a dishwasher.

working fine now - thanks again.

Steve

Where did you locate the drain bucket? Did you have to take the dishwasher out??

may I enter to ask a question? our dishwasher is not draining. we just installed a new garbage disposal yesterday and the first time we ran the dishwasher after the installation was when it seemed to be plugged. Do you think it is a drainage issue of "stuff" that we can manually discard ourselves, or perhaps due to the garbage disposal installation.
Thanks.....HA in Florida

Just talked with someone and told me that I needed to punch the "plastic hole" that the dishwasher hose plugs into...out of the 26 step instructions, that was not listed..... Oh well, learn something new every day.

All good now.

We have a GE dishwasher... For some reason lately there is a large amount of water remaining in the dishwasher at the end of the last cycle. There doesn't seem to be a check valve at the back of the machine. Not to be seen. Where else could it be located. Thanks. Roy

Latest posts

Back