Bathtub Spout Leaks Behind Spout (pics)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallix

Reaction score
Hello! I am in the process of trying to (learn to) fix some odds and ends around the house on my own. I had a leaking shower head that I was able to fix on my own, but this issue I am not so sure about.

Whenever I pull the the stopper on the bathtub spout to activate the shower, water starts coming out behind the spout (The shower still works, though). The stopper itself seems to work fine, though, as no water comes out of the spout at all in the front when activated. It's only where the back of the spout meets the wall. As you can see in the pics, the caulk is dried and cracking off. I see that there is no set screw, so I assume that this spout unscrews.

Is it a matter of just taking the spout off, cleaning off the old caulk and resealing where it meets the wall? Or is there more to it? For some reason, I feel like if I seal it off that pressure will build up in the spout itself and it will leak through the wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*Edit* I also wanted to add that the water definitely comes from the front of the spout-side and then trickles out the back. The water isn't coming from the wall-side.

Bathtub-Spout01.jpg

Bathtub-Spout-02.jpg

Bathtub-Spout-03.jpg

Bathtub-Spout-04.jpg

Something broke behind the spout is what happened. Try to twist it out , it will unscrew...lefty loosy...righty tighty.
The problem is it has become loose at the threads, or it has cracked.
Don't use it till you fix it.:)

Is there somewhere to make an access from the back to see it better?

Do you think the whole spout is shot then? Like I said, the shower works fine when I pull the stop.

Welcome Wallix:
No, the spout is not necessarily shot. However, there should not be any water in the larger part of the spout behind the point where the shower diverter is lifted. InspectorD is correct.
If you take the spout off, you will see a 1/2" pipe sticking out of the wall. You need to check that pipe for possible cracks, turn the water on gently, put your hand over the end of the pipe (which diverts the water to the shower head) and see if any water leaks out of the pipe, put new teflon tape on the fitting at the end and reinstall the spout.
Glenn

Welcome Wallix:
No, the spout is not necessarily shot. However, there should not be any water in the larger part of the spout behind the point where the shower diverter is lifted. InspectorD is correct.
If you take the spout off, you will see a 1/2" pipe sticking out of the wall. You need to check that pipe for possible cracks, turn the water on gently, put your hand over the end of the pipe (which diverts the water to the shower head) and see if any water leaks out of the pipe, put new teflon tape on the fitting at the end and reinstall the spout.
Glenn

Thanks. I will give it a shot tomorrow night.

I am guessing that when you remove the spout, you will find that the female threads that screw onto the water pipe will be cracked. Many low end spouts are made of pot metal. These are easily cracked if any pressure (such as someone using it as a handle to stand up) is put on the end. When used for the tub, there is no back pressure on the water so it flows fine with no leaks. When the diverter is closed for showering, water is forced a different direction (back towards the wall) and the threads leak. Be sure to let us know what you find.

Well, it didn't go as planned. I went out and bought a, "Universal" spout...but it wasn't very universal. The pipe that comes out of my wall has this collar-looking bulge around it with a rubber-ring that prevented the spout from going on.

What should I be looking for to replace the spout because obviously it's not universal. I didn't know there was a rubber ring on there, too. Could that be the problem?

*Edit* Has anyone seen that style of pipe before?

Bathtub-Spout-5.jpg

That adapter works with a specific brand of tub spout. It should unscrew just like the spout did, Then you can get the correct length pipe in there to hold the new spout in the correct position

That adapter works with a specific brand of tub spout. It should unscrew just like the spout did, Then you can get the correct length pipe in there to hold the new spout in the correct position

I tried turning it and it's not going anywhere. It appears to be welded on or something. The spout itself says, "Masco 32192" on the bottom. Unfortunately, Google isn't helping me this time in terms of finding a replacement spout.

Then maybe... the O-ring needs to be replaced? :)

Yup, that's my next option. I popped it off this morning and will head to Lowe's to see if I can find a new one.

If this doesn't work I don't know what I'm going to do. I imagine I may have to have to pay someone to cut that pipe off and make it, "Normal". Why the heck is that stupid collar thing on there anyway? You'd think they would want to keep things nice and simple. The guest bathroom has the same spout/setup and it works wonderfully. Not sure why this one just disintegrated.

Make sure the mating surface inside the spout where the o-ring seals is clean and isn't cracked or eroded. It should be good and smooth to get a proper seal

My wife (Of all people) suggested capping off the tub-spout pipe and putting the old spout on just for looks. I am totally fine with this. How hard is it to cap off a copper pipe like that?

how are you at soldering pipe.
You could just as easily go to the local pluming supply store, and ask some questions first. See what you find out before you eliminate the fill.

Bring some pictures along, tell us how you make out.

I think that spout fitting is soldered in place.

Your problem is that the O ring has failed. Take off the black rubber ring and take it to a hardware store or plumbing supply to find a replacement. Put on the new ring and reinstall the spout and you should be good to go. Its an under $1 fix and one trip to the store.

If you want a new spout then more work will be involved. If a new O ring doesn't fix it then there could be some other issues. Lets cross that bridge only if we need to. The O ring is the most likely cause of your problem.

Not to throw off subject, But I have a very similar pipe coming out of the wall.

Although my problem is the Tub spout , the part that makes the shower work doesnt stay in place. It neds a NEW spout, However , I tryed to replace it with a universal spouit and it wont work due to the Very same pipe in the picture the guy posted.

So, did someone say that pipe is soldered? I tryed to take it off with a wrnch bit didnt budge. Mabey an easy out will work? Or is it soldered?

I need to fix this asap, I cannot take showers!!! Sucks .

Anyway if someone could walk me through on how to fix this It would save me some big bux That I cannot afford right now.

I am having the same issue with the EXACT brand that the other guy had posted...I was told that I needed a new faucet. The universal ones don't fit...at least the ones that had at Home Depot. I'm going to try Lowe's today and see what they have..UGH

Try replacing the O-ring. It looks like there should be two O-rings on there. Otherwise, cut yourself an access hole behind the fixture, remove the proprietary stub and sweat on a 1/2" nipple. You should be able to use a universal spout with an O-ring in it or sweat on a threaded fitting and use that type of spout. Hopefully, a new O-ring and some silicone grease does the trick.

Latest posts

Back