Anyone Know what this is?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Clover

Reaction score
There's a piece of metal going across a stud at an angle in my garage. Wanted to know if you could tell what it was since I don't want to rip down the whole wall. And *RAGE* at someone using a nail gun or something and blasting a nail into the wall.

IMGP1749.jpg

Possibly some sort of bracing to prevent a wall from racking? Can give some more info. Is this a normal home? What year was it built?

There was no mention of where that brace was, and not enough drywall removed to tell.
But the other poster had a good idea that it may be cross bracing.

To me, it also looks like bracing i would suggest you to not mess up with it or else you may damage your wall, is it your wall? well you should provide some more info of it...

It is the wall. I believe the house was built 25yrs ago and its in the garage. Its about 2-3ft to the right of the door into the house and behind it would be the laundry room. And if its a bracing *face palm* at someone shooting a nail into it.

It is the wall. I believe the house was built 25yrs ago and its in the garage. Its about 2-3ft to the right of the door into the house and behind it would be the laundry room. And if its a bracing *face palm* at someone shooting a nail into it.

25 years? never thought of renovation/repairing? :D

I would hope it wasn't renovation and repair...from what I've seen of that in the rest of the house, it was probably poorly done. >.>

Houses that have a garage on one side and the front door in the middle and a big window on the other side are pretty shakey before the drywall is put up, some builder put plywood on the back wall of the garage and others put in some sort of angle brace. You may have one of these, or you said the laundry is on the other side of this wall. Plumbers and electricions are required to protect wires and pipes from drywall screws, they do that with strips of metal.

Back