Installing a laminate countertop against wall with a subtle bow in it

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you do the compost project. We recycle at the local recycle bins in our town and we are left with just the organic stuff to try and figure out what to do with. She has been talking about doing a composter for about 6 months now. I also need a better way to store and transport the recycles tossing them in the back of her car isn’t working out real well.

I will definitely have the composter built come spring. Right now, all the kitchen scraps are going in a heap out back behind the garden. Not really doing anything in the dead of winter, so I am putting the tumbler together. The one's they sell in stores are just too expensive for me to justify. Besides, I'm trying to live by "If you can learn to make it yourself, make it. If you can learn to fix it yourself, fix it." The enclosed plastic drum I have is about $20 at Rural King, I had a 4' length of PVC, and just some basic 2x4 will do for the X-frame. I bought a 2" hole saw bit, a couple hinges, and a latch for the door I'll cut out. It's ready to be built, but the winds out here are brutal and are motivating me to fix the drafty garage first (and plant a windbreak in the spring!).

This spring, I also want to put up a chicken coup and get some layers. They will likely deal with most of the kitchen scraps anyway, but the tumbler will be a good backup for whatever they reject.

Like you, I've been taking the plastics to a nearby recycling plant. The best thing you can do if it is not a convenient trip is to reduce the amount of plastic you use, or find ways to reuse it. Depending on where you live, you might have a neighbor that has a recycling service, if you're willing to chip in a little to help pay his bill. I know some of my fellow neighbors just burn all their trash, but I can't do that in good conscience. Despite being a rustic fellow, I also have a chemistry background, and I'm aware of the byproducts of heating plastic...makes cigarette smoke seem like a health food. I have no problem burning the tree-based refuse, but plastics and such are a different story. This summer, I'd like to put in a wood stove, so that tree-based refuse can be used to heat my home, not the back yard.

I will definitely have the composter built come spring. Right now, all the kitchen scraps are going in a heap out back behind the garden. Not really doing anything in the dead of winter, so I am putting the tumbler together. The one's they sell in stores are just too expensive for me to justify. Besides, I'm trying to live by "If you can learn to make it yourself, make it. If you can learn to fix it yourself, fix it." The enclosed plastic drum I have is about $20 at Rural King, I had a 4' length of PVC, and just some basic 2x4 will do for the X-frame. I bought a 2" hole saw bit, a couple hinges, and a latch for the door I'll cut out. It's ready to be built, but the winds out here are brutal and are motivating me to fix the drafty garage first (and plant a windbreak in the spring!).

This spring, I also want to put up a chicken coup and get some layers. They will likely deal with most of the kitchen scraps anyway, but the tumbler will be a good backup for whatever they reject.

Like you, I've been taking the plastics to a nearby recycling plant. The best thing you can do if it is not a convenient trip is to reduce the amount of plastic you use, or find ways to reuse it. Depending on where you live, you might have a neighbor that has a recycling service, if you're willing to chip in a little to help pay his bill. I know some of my fellow neighbors just burn all their trash, but I can't do that in good conscience. Despite being a rustic fellow, I also have a chemistry background, and I'm aware of the byproducts of heating plastic...makes cigarette smoke seem like a health food. I have no problem burning the tree-based refuse, but plastics and such are a different story. This summer, I'd like to put in a wood stove, so that tree-based refuse can be used to heat my home, not the back yard.

We sound quite similar in wanting to get rid of our waste in the most logical way. My girls father has a dairy farm and he has saved up 100’s of those 55 gallon white plastic poly drums, I have cut the tops out of quite a few and added rope handles to use for waste cans. I could see making some composters out of some of them also. Hmm you got me thinking. They seem to stand up to UV quite well. Maybe I see a cottage industry popping up here. :)

Back