Lawn aeration

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
Anybody had any luck with spike aeration? I just did it today and spread some grass seed.

They do it to the sports fields and A few home owners around here have had it done every year, never nticed a difference.;)

Spikes don’t really do that much good. The better system is to use a machine that cuts out plugs and then top dress with whatever amenity you are trying to introduce into the soil.

Spikes will aid a little if you have clay soil getting water down in a little deeper.

My soil is still frozen as of this morning anyway, but thanks for reminding me spring is coming.

The best time to aerate and overseed your yard is in the fall. Aerating now will just give crabgrass a nice seedbed to germinate in. If you apply a crabgrass preventer your desirable grass seed won't germinate either.

How late in the fall depends on where you are located. Here we can overseed into October and get good results. Further north you may need to start in late August.

Latest posts

Back