Basement Decorative Wood Wall Cover popping up

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have a finished basement in my residence. The walls have some decorative wood cover that adds a nice accent to the place, it seems that behinds the wood cover there are sheets of styrofoam and behinds the sheets of styrofoam fiberglass for added insulation. Below are links to photos of the aforementioned wood wall cover (I don't know the name of such thing). It seems that they are popping off and right behind them is the styrofoam insulation sheet. I was wondering about what would be the best approach to reattach and fix them, maybe liquid nail (I don't have a heavy duty staple gun):

5121431766_62e29915c0.jpg

5121431766_62e29915c0.jpg

Also, I was working the spray foam insulation (great stuff) in order to fill some gaps, cracks, and openings and then creating an air-tight insulation, as shown below:

5096343319_ae898d7447.jpg

But some of the great got in contact with my glove which then got in contact with the decorative wall wood cover as shown below: So I had to use an abrasive sponge to try to remove it and that damaged the finished of the wood wall cover (so now there are ugly spots the decorative wood wall cover). The decorative wood wall cover has some patterns on it, so painting most like would not work well. Would there be anything else that could be done to mitigate such situation?

Thanks for any help,
tk3000

This Paneling was popular in the 1970ies and with be very hard to match now. It was a factury finish there are glues that can be bought for wood to foam, it has to be the right glue some will eat the foam. You might consider drywall and bring it up to date.

This Paneling was popular in the 1970ies and with be very hard to match now. It was a factury finish there are glues that can be bought for wood to foam, it has to be the right glue some will eat the foam. You might consider drywall and bring it up to date.

Thanks for the response. I did not realize that it was that old and difficult to find.

Back