Popping tiles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
I have porcelin tile in my bathroom. Two of the tiles make a popping noise when you step on the top edge of them. They are laid in a diamond pattern and the two that pop are beside of each other. Suggestions?

The floor is flexing or the tiles never got properly adhered. There are tile experts on this forum, but I suspect the solution would be to remove the grout and the tiles, clean up the old thinset, then re-lay replacement tiles.

However, if the floor is flexing, this problem could reoccur. Basic Principle: rigid tile does poorly on a flexible underlayment. That is why we use Hardie Board on the floor to stiffen it.

The floor is flexing or the tiles never got properly adhered. There are tile experts on this forum, but I suspect the solution would be to remove the grout and the tiles, clean up the old thinset, then re-lay replacement tiles.

However, if the floor is flexing, this problem could reoccur. Basic Principle: rigid tile does poorly on a flexible underlayment. That is why we use Hardie Board on the floor to stiffen it.

CBU adds no structural strength at all.

It's laid on backer board which is laid on a subfloor underneath that. I can post a pic. It's a crawlspace underneath the floor.

When looking at the joists, check the size 2x8s, 2x10, or what? distance apart 14 1/2", 22 1/2" ot what and how long are they. Then you want to look for noticable damage, big knot with carcks extentending to the bottom or top, notches cut out of the joists for plumbing, holes drilled for wiring really close to the bottum edge of the joists.

It's laid on backer board which is laid on a subfloor underneath that. I can post a pic. It's a crawlspace underneath the floor.

Are the tiles popping only with movement or were they seasonal?

If seasonal, you could have an moisture issue that is contributing the the framing instability.

When looking at the joists, check the size 2x8s, 2x10, or what? distance apart 14 1/2", 22 1/2" ot what and how long are they. Then you want to look for noticable damage, big knot with carcks extentending to the bottom or top, notches cut out of the joists for plumbing, holes drilled for wiring really close to the bottum edge of the joists.

+1

Post up a picture of the crawl.

Ok. I'll post a pic soon. And no, not seasonal, only when I step on them a certain way. To start with two specific tiles popped. Now, one of the original two have stopped popping when stepped on and a separate one has started popping when stepped on which is in a completely different place

Nice post thanks... if you are looking for something new.. go through
italiantileandstone.com... you will get something new.. :)

This is probably as simple as cement board not installed correctly, missing screws mesh taped seams, is there thinset under cement board lets hope because most of the time popping sounds are when it is not placed in thinset. I didn't read grout cracking as 99% of grout crack is from movement.

Back