Prefab fireplaces - what can I hang?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
The boss wants me to move the TV from the wall next to the fireplace to the wall over the fireplace. (See the picture.) I don't like it, but she's the boss. I never watch TV anyway.

The fireplace is a prefab. The TV mount has to sit on a stud. Are there studs on the wall over the fireplace? If not, what kind of supports are behind there?

And, is it safe?

More info on my fireplace, copied and pasted from the inspection report:

The fireplace is a premanufactured steel firebox with firebrick panel over lays. [I'm not sure what that means.] The smoke chamber is a steel funnel capped with a DeStato closure device. The flue is triple wall stainless steel liners.

0723171503-00.jpg

Last edited:
You will have to cut a hole and see what you have up there. The answer about what you will find is what ever is there. There are few rules on how that is built as it is not structural. You will want to go in thru the side to bring power and TV cables and sound cables in.
You may be able to find studs but often you have to add blocking between what you have there. Especially if you have one of those pull out a turn hangers. You want a outlet placed up there and best if you can run a pvc pipe from up there to low on the side for all the cables.
They like to have the top of the mantle 14" above the fire box and 10" deep to move the heat away from the TV.

You can use a stud finder to locate the framing members and aesthetically routing the elec. and cable will be the source of the greatest difficulty as well as wall damage.

The flue shaft will likely be hollow.

I just put one up a month ago for Holly’s mom over her fireplace. Looks like the same type of construction, same size tv. The mount she had came with a lot of hardware and the mount has rows of holes. That size tv is pretty light and I just found the studs and used deck screws. I put about 4 times as many screws in as I thought I needed and load tested it by hanging on it. She wasn’t fussy about the wires and didn’t mind them going straight down and across the mantel. So that is all I did.

Keep the boss happy and the bosses mother.

The boss isn't too picky about the cables; I can just route them neatly along the wall with hooks and she'll be happy. (I'd keep them away from the fireplace of course.)

I'm mainly concerned about whether there are studs behind the wall above the mantle, and if so, are they secure enough to hang a TV on. The screws supplied with the TV mount are about 3" long so I'd want to make sure the studs are at least that deep plus a few inches too.

I've been busy with other projects and haven't had a chance to run a stud finder over it yet, was mainly asking in case people knew that prefab fireplaces like these never had studs over them or something, in which case I'd be saving myself the trouble.

The screws that came with the one I just put up were monsters and like you said 3” long looked more like lag bolts but with a screw head. The frame work had all kinds of holes so I opted for more screws than making huge holes in the wall. The wall I put this up on was paneling over drywall. I used deck screws.

The TV’s are not that heavy if you get in the stud you will be fine as Neal mentioned.

Back