Southern California Wind :(

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Last night, the wind was reported to be 60-90 mph. My newly built fence is loose as a result (half of the fence). When I built the fence, I use a "U" metal bracket and bolted on top of the retainer wall for the posts (poured concrete into the hole of the brick, etc).

20110712081717.jpg

Anyways, I need to brace the fence stronger.

I am thinking of placing a terminal metal post 2 3/8" behind the fence for every other current post (not all the posts, every other)

Prior to the fence being built, I had shrubs that was like 10 feet high. Currently the back neighbor has a chainlink fence (see pic) and my fence is about 2.5 ft away.

I did measure the property line which is right on the retainer wall, but don't know why his chainlink fence was built at that current spot. If I place the terminal post on the other side of the fence, technically its on his land.

When I was building the fence, the neighbor did offer to allow me to brace my fence to his fence for support :eek: Please advise.

20110618095731.jpg

Btw, my coworker, she lost half of her fence from the strong wind.

TIA,
tntrac

Last edited:
There's no guarantee your neighbor will be there forever. And when his replacement moves in, and wants your brace posts removed immediately from his property, you're in for a bunch more work.

I'd either install the posts on my side of the fence (paint them white, no one except you will ever notice), or get a written and notarized easement from the neighbor, stating your posts can remain on his property for perpetuity. And while you're at it, why not cut a few slots (openings) in your fence so it doesn't think it's a sail?

There's no guarantee your neighbor will be there forever. And when his replacement moves in, and wants your brace posts removed immediately from his property, you're in for a bunch more work.

I'd either install the posts on my side of the fence (paint them white, no one except you will ever notice), or get a written and notarized easement from the neighbor, stating your posts can remain on his property for perpetuity. And while you're at it, why not cut a few slots (openings) in your fence so it doesn't think it's a sail?

I am thinking really hard about putting the posts on my side. It is not really that bad once my palm grows. I am growing 4 palms along the wall now.

Back