Header over basement window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lslapshot

Reaction score
Ok so heres another issue I found. I built a header for the main floor windows since I intend to go up one level on the house. Little did I know that half of the header is sitting right above the basement window. What solutions do I have?

1. take out the basement window and replace with block (its a driveway side window and hardly ever gets sun)

2. make a new header to extend beyond the window and just use trimmer studs to secure the window? If I do this, is there a chart showing how long of a span I can go with 2x8? I can go to a 2x10 but there will be a 1" gap between the window and header.

Hoping for some good advice! Thanks again for all your input guys!

We never see 2x8 headers so maybe others can help you with that. Widening the header upstairs may be the easyest. Without any extra loading from above like a beam or a gurder truss you should be good. If your header is five feet or longer use two studs under each end. Just use a 1x to fill the gap. If your new jack studs don't land directly over a floor joist add a crush block between the top of the wall down stairs and the bottom of the floor boards

Latest posts

Back