Vermiculite...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I was cleaning out and insulating my crawl spaces and I found that the cinderblock foundation is filled with it.

while i was putting the insulation over the top of the cinderblocks, it spilled out onto the floor. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but after some google searches I'm 100% sure thats what it is.

I planned on spraying it down with a water bottle and cleaning out what fell on the floor and forgetting about the rest.

I will wear a mask, etc... but I wanted to check and see what the pros do when you come across Sh*t like this.

Thanks

I agree, a little morter on top should seal it up. When I was kid it was my brother and I that covered the attic with this stuff and themn when we finished two rooms up there we swept it up and moved it behind the knee walls. Yes we were breathing lots of dust. Most of this stuff came from one mine and they had traces of asbestose and some of it was cantaminated but not all.

I did read that article thanks, the tops of the cinderblocks are pouring out the stuff so I would have to take it out to fill it in. Im going to use spray foam over it and then cover that with some insulation.

I need a good way to clean what already spilled out on the floor. I guess as long as I'm smart about it (Wearing glasses, mask, etc...) I should be ok

Thanks

vermiculite is also used in potting soil, so just throwing it in your yard is ok

Back