New Landscaping.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that looks great!! Now folks can see what a little hard work can do. Keep em comming ...we love pics.:clap:

You asked for it. I'm about 95% done with the rest. I've still got a bench and railing to do on the back deck, and I need to plant the raised bed.

IMG_5630.jpg

DSC_2663.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

That is all I can say......:D

Very nice job, "I love it when a plan comes together".:clap: You must be part of the A-TEAM.

Thanks. It's been a long haul to get it done, but we really are loving it.

I do have a technical question. This may be confusing, but I need help.

The water feature is run by a low pressure, high volume pump. Irrigation pressure is provided by a booster pump located near my valve manifold. The booster pump is a pressure drop start pump. That is, when an irrigation valve opens, the pump starts running automatically.

Here's the tricky part. The feed for the booster pump "tees" off the low pressure, high volume line that runs the water feature. This means that when I call for irrigation, the water feature MUST be running. Right now, I have the water feature on an electronic timer. The timer runs the water feature from 3AM-6AM (morning irrigation time), and from 5PM-7PM (evening irrigation time). I can also override the timer by pressing a button to run the water feature if we are in the yard, entertaining, etc.

Though this setup works, I'm concerned about keeping the water feature timer and the irrigation controller on the same timing.

What I would like to do is use a Pump Start Relay to start the water feature pump when irrigation is called for. But I'd also like to be able to override the pump start relay to run the pump manually when irrigation is not called for so I can run the water feature...

HELP ME! I'm too thick to figure this one out myself.

What I would like to do is use a Pump Start Relay to start the water feature pump when irrigation is called for.
But I'd also like to be able to override the pump start relay to run the pump manually when irrigation is not called for so I can run the water feature...
It's an OR function
so the override switch contacts need to be in parallel with the relay contacts.

It's an OR function
so the override switch contacts need to be in parallel with the relay contacts.

So you believe that I can connect two 24VAC inputs to the input side of the relay?

Please bear with me...I'm a Mechanical Engineer...

What happens if this override switch is "on" and the irrigation controller sends a "pump start" signal (also 24VAC) to the same inputs on the relay at the same time? Now there are two 24VAC signals on the input side of the pump.

So you believe that I can connect two 24VAC inputs to the input side of the relay?

Please bear with me...I'm a Mechanical Engineer...

What happens if this override switch is "on" and the irrigation controller sends a "pump start" signal (also 24VAC) to the same inputs on the relay at the same time? Now there are two 24VAC signals on the input side of the pump.
I figured the switch contacts would be in parallel with the relay contacts.
Paralleling identical transformer outputs that are in phase is probably OK but I don't usually do this.
Post a schematic.

Last edited:
I figured the switch contacts would be in parallel with the relay contacts.
Paralleling identical transformer outputs that are in phase is probably OK but I don't usually do this.
Post a schematic.

Hot off the press...

Schematic.jpg

Well, maybe two or three...got the Fireplace and the rest of the lighting installed in September, just before we were on the heritage tour...also finished the rest of the lower deck...

Enjoy!

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5684.jpg

Thanks for the updates Jeff, whats the Heritage Tour?

Oldog,
The "Heritage Homes" biennial tour is organized by a group of people who have a common interest in old homes. The tour is of original or restored homes in the city where we live. The whole house was on tour, and we had probably 400 people come through in one day. For all our restoration effort and for being on the tour, we get a plaque for the house and get registered as a Heritage Home.
We had 8 "docents" in the house, as well as my wife and I. The docents are there to answer questions and direct traffic. We were there to answer any questions they couldn't.

Thats really something to be proud of, glad you've kept us in the loop. We love seeing pics. At first I thought Heritage was a Harley motorcycle ride to Sturgis or something.;)

So I finally finished my irrigation automation project.

Background: When the contractor installed the cistern, they put level sensors near the bottom. When the water level gets too low, the sensor opens a valve, and city water flows into the cistern to keep it from running dry (the water feature pump is at the bottom of the cistern).

When the water is near that point, and I'm using it for irrigation, the level sensor opens the valve (keeping the level at the minimum), and I use my booster pump (and my electricity) to irrigate.

This annoyed me to no end. Why should I waste all that potential energy (city water pressure) by dumping it into the cistern and then boosting the pressure back up on MY dime to irrigate.

SO, I installed a 3-way valve with an actuator and a control circuit that switches the irrigation source from cistern to city water when the level gets low. Then, once the cistern starts filling again, it switches back automatically.

Why would I do this when I could just turn a couple of valves manually, you may ask? Because I'm nuts, that's why! :rofl:

Here's pictures of the 3-way valve and the circuit I created. The valve is usually used for pool/spa applications, as is the level sensor. The circuit at the bottom is my design.

valve-actuator.jpg

automatic swith device.jpg

I really like the idea of a cistern under the patio - that's an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing ;)

Scott

Really large project. Great job!!
Hack you are my hero.How do I wish I could have the place like yours!

Really large project. Great job!!
Hack you are my hero.How do I wish I could have the place like yours!

Thanks for the kind words...

We lost the Avocado tree to root rot this last winter. Had it cut down last weekend. Planted a new Arbutus Marina in a spot that should provide a good screen from the neighbors yard...

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Latest posts

Back