Waterproofing Over Deck Joist

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this looks like Dryspace or the like. it is designed to go under decks and do exactly this. The stuff I have installed said it was not necessarily going to be 100% watertight.
It sounds like it needs to be addressed from the top, but under the deck boards. Perhaps just a few of the boards over the beam could be pulled (even with nails it should not be that big a deal) and some sort of fix applied.

I would have the company pull up the boards over the beam area and install the proper flashing to direct water to either side, similar to Joe's recomendation. The caulking in the joints between the boards will not solve the problem very long. I'm not sure if they used vinyl gutter, but aluminum gutter and/or Trim Coil flashing will need to be shielded from contact with the treated wood. The chemicals used in the treatment process contain copper which will react with aluminum. The actual manufacturer of their product should have instructions for this situation. Remind the owner of the company that you will report this to the Maryland License authority and will post it on Angie's list if not corrected in a timely manner. That will get their attention, as they are listing Angie's list in their advertisements. Last resort is to hire an attorney.

Or maybe the very last resort would be to construct a water-tight roof (with lots of overhang) over the deck. Doing so would probably cut any significant leaks to just a trickle the few times a year the wind blows hard enough to push rainfall sideways. And the advantage of having a deck for use under most all weather conditions would be an added benefit.

Of course, there's always the option of getting rid of the motorcycle before you hurt yourself on it.

http://www.dekdrain.com/products.php
Some one has a great idea, and every one else just wants to make a cheaper system and some of these guys claim aluminium is better. Either they don't know better or just don't care. With decdrain, it appears the framing wood never gets wet.

The (hopeful) fix is underway. Pics of what the 2-man crew are doing:

7937766170_4426a487d0_c.jpg

7937562968_007aacb24f_c.jpg

7937562564_27fc1886cd_c.jpg

7937562252_28eb6af849_c.jpg

Last edited:
That should stop the leaking problem but the board above that will be sitting water all the time.

Scratch, not to sound negative...but, what is the game plan to waterprof where they secure the deck boards back through the metal into the deck joists? I guess I'm missing something.

Scratch, not to sound negative...but, what is the game plan to waterprof where they secure the deck boards back through the metal into the deck joists?

Good question. Based on your knowledge/experience, what is the usual approach?

Better would have been to run 2x2s on top of the joists with no nails or screws thru the the tin and would allow water to get out. To late now as your deck would have to have been built 2" lower.

Read the box that coil stock can in. In big letters it will say do not put in direct contact with pressure treated lumber.

Presuming you saw all the photos, is the plastic sheeting they put down insufficient IYE?

Back