need a little advice on floor tiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankthetank

Reaction score
hello all im new to this web site. any how im thinking about tilling my bathroom floor but i have a couple of questions. first, i have linolium in my bathroom now, can i lay the tile on top of this or would it be best to take it out. also are you supposed to tile under the toilet and wouldnt that elevate it more to the point you would have to do some upgrading to the toilet?

You really need a stiff floor for tile, so the question is the structure of the floor.
The size and layout of the floor joists and the length of them. Lino is often layed on 5/8 plywood and would not be stiff enough as is, you may need more plywood or backerboard and yes you tile under toilet and there are spacers to bring it up to height.

Linoleum is not an adequate subfloor for ceramic tile. You need a rock solid base to prevent cracking and grout crumbling. Your best bet is to lay a 3/4" plywood subfloor right over the top of the existing linoleum. Sure, it will raise the floor, but you use a marble or oak saddle at the doorway, and you use an extension for the toliet waste, and you're good!

Back