Brown spots in my bathroom on linoleum floor Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopy123

Reaction score
I have noticed that in both of my bathrooms which have linoleum on the floor that there are brown spots that I have no idea what or where they come from. I have tried to use pure bleach and even scrub the heck out of it but there is no getting rid of it. I don't know if or how I can get rid of it. Any suggestions would very much appreciated. It sort looks or maybe be some kind of dye. I really don't know. But it will not come up off the linoleum. It is a dye type stain and it looks as if it came on the flooring but I know it didn't and we've had the same linoleum for about 11 yrs now. It's just an irritataing stain and I would love to get rid of it. Thanks in advance and everyone have a wonderful day.
Snoopy123

6.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

I'm going to take a guess that the dark spots are bleeding thru the bottom of the linoleum, and short of replacement or a cut out and replacement of the bad pieces, it will be there forever.

I'm going to take a guess that the dark spots are bleeding thru the bottom of the linoleum, and short of replacement or a cut out and replacement of the bad pieces, it will be there forever.

Exactly my opinion.

To piece in linoleum, securely tape a remnant piece with duct tape, exactly over the existing linoleum. Use a really sharp Exacto knife to cut thru both the old and new pieces over a pattern line if possible, making an exact duplicate replacement.

Remove the old piece of linoleum, and scrape away and excess glue. Apply a small amount of glue, and insert the new piece into the cut out.

Set some heavy blocks, books or wood over the newly installed piece, and let it dry for a day. The next day, remove any oozed glue and paint a thin coat of clear fingernail polish directly over the new seam, and you should be good to go.

This usually will work with good satisfaction unless the new remnant piece and the old linoleum are already discolored, and if this is the case, it's time for a complete replacement.

I have the same stains and it was driving me crazy what it was. Nothing I could do would get rid of it. Is there no checmical that can remove it??

Not if it is coming thru the backing and I suspect that it is.

I have the same thing on our kitchen floor linoleum. And it is growing. I believe it is a mold underneath. It was by our window, so I suspect there was a leak of some kind. We are ripping up our linoleum, fixing our window, bleaching the spot under the linoleum where the mold must have been growing and laying new floor. Not good news, but necessary.

Someone used loun under that floor.
It's not approved for use under linoleum.
It causes glues to release, staining, and has voids.
It should have been 1/4 underlayment rated plywood.

Sometimes can be caused by some rubber backed mats, some flooring manufacturers warn agains certain types of mats.

It was something in the rubber of the mat, I discouvered the worning after the deed was done. I think it was armstrong "not sure". The damage was very simular to the sample in your link but you could easily see the shape of the mat. As you know, nothing is really impermeable.

Sometimes can be caused by some rubber backed mats, some flooring manufacturers warn agains certain types of mats.

that's plasticizer migration.

Reactions: GBR
It's all to tech heavy for me but the idea that moisture could get thru plywood subfloor, I think that would have to be a flood. Sub floor is considered a vapour barrier.

It's all to tech heavy for me but the idea that moisture could get thru plywood subfloor, I think that would have to be a flood. Sub floor is considered a vapour barrier.

Water can seep through interior grade plywood.

I think her problem is moisture true, but plasticizer migration is very common.

Water can seep through interior grade plywood.

Plywood fooring for sub floor is exterior grade but that in itself doesn't make it waterproof but Gary's link suggested high moisture in crawl space,
If that happened I think a stain would be the least of your problems.

Plywood fooring for sub floor is exterior grade but that in itself doesn't make it waterproof but Gary's link suggested high moisture in crawl space,
If that happened I think a stain would be the least of your problems.

Many of the new houses here use chip board for subfloors.

Back