Clothes Washer problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteam

Reaction score
I have an older whirlpool clothes washer, the coupler between the motor and transmission broke into pieces and the washer wouldn't spin. I ordered another replacement coupler and replacing that wasn't much of a problem, the disassembly however was not so easy and I had to take the outer shell off of the drum because the motor face the wall of the housing making it impossible to remove the motor a bit to replace the coupler, ok so I assemble everything back in the order that I had removed it primarily wiring to take stress of the housing removal , now It won't fill water or nothing happens at all when I turn the dial for wash spin etc. I suspected lack of ground so I repeatedly tried to fasten the ground wire in better support and location with no results I also tired different working outlets to make sure power was going to the washer, don't know what I am overlooking or what I did to make the washer do nothing, need advise on what I could do to troubleshoot and repair this,Thanks.

Last edited:
Could(should) be as simple as a wire coming unplugged on the washer control with all the movement during repair. Check everywhere carefully with a flashlight.

Make sure the door button is working also, then check to make sure the timer connections are all tight, which I am sure you already tried.
Is it possible the timer went bad and the piece broke at the same time, or caused it to by running too long?
Just spitballin here..:D

Actually it turned out that a white wire was broken on the power cord It was down farther into the back where I didn't spot it at first,Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys!

Yes, completely dead usually means some one thing very basic is wrong (because it's unlikely more than one thing will fail over a short span of time, unless you accidentally put 240vac into this machine).

Back