Flat walls in old construction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmchris

Reaction score
Completely gutted 16' x 10' room. House has been jacked up as far as it could go. Removed the lathe and plaster (was in very poor shape) Used laser level to find low spots on floor and ceiling. Sistered 2 x 6's on the old floor joists and 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's on the ceiling. Put 3/4" plywood on the floor and that is now perfectly level. Will be putting 1/2 drywall on the ceiling. Now want to start the walls.

My questions is where do I begin? I assume that many of studs (true 2 x 4's) are twisted and not plumb. Some lean either in or out and others have twists in them.My plan was to sister 2 x4's to the old studs to flatten and plumb the walls.

Where is my starting point to do this...On the ceilings for example: it was find the low spot and that would be the height of the new ceiling. Bring the other ceiling joists down to this level resulting in a level and flat ceiling. It is not clear for the walls where to begin. Thanks

Welcome, If you are interested the ceiling should be 5/8 drywall.
You start by finding a perfectly straight something that will reach from the floor to the top plates, so with a level you can check that they are plumb.
Then with the straight edge you can check each stud individually.
Exterior wall. great time to make them 2x6 for more insulation. Add 1 1/2 inches to top and bottom plates and around windows and doors and the add new 2x4 studs for a new interior straight wall. If the new studs do not touch the old studs you will have the best you can get for insulation.

Interior, wall with pipes and things, I would also make the 2x6 in the same way or add 3/4 to both sides and use 2x6 studs.
2x4 walls you can just cut them almost thru so they will straighten easily and sister on a new one to hold it there.

Figure out what you can live with trying to get perfect in an old place is a tall order.

I would plumb a straight 2x on each end of the wall and then do a string line every 2’ in height and measure in to the old studs. Find your low and high spot and go from there. All the sisters will work but it’s a lot of wood unless you are really bad. I have shaved some and shimmed some and said good enough to some. You will find your studs won’t be on good centers with lath they spaced them the length of their hammer.
My kitchen was out every way it could and I used 1x3 going the opposite direction shimmed out to hold the drywall then filled the gaps between them with ¾ foam strips.

OK got it, using 2X and string lines to see which studs are low and high. Once I have the low and high spots figured out (furthest and closest to the string) what is the next step? How do I ensure that those studs that I intend to sister on stay even with each other?

Back