Rotted? subfloor boards

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeface

Reaction score
I pulled up some water damaged particle board underlayment to replace it with plywood and found some damaged subfloor boards. The subfloor is 2x6 T&G which is nailed to some giant beams every 48". some of the subfloor boards appear to be eaten by carpenter ants. Many of them have some white stuff on them and I am not sure it if is some mold or dryrot or if it is just old construction debris from when the house was built about 35 years ago. I think some of the boards with significant damage will have to be replaced, but I do not want to replace all of them if it is not structurally necessary. I think the crawl space has had a lot of water problems in the past but we are having a french drain and sump pump put in which should fix that in the future. I really do not want to pull up any more of the particle board underlayment as it is in serviceable condition in the rest of the house. What do you think, should I just replace the boards that are most damaged, or is this white stuff something to be concerned about?

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4587.jpg

IMG_4588.jpg

Last edited:
Dry wall dust, white paint that was sprayed on wall before floor was done?
Inspect from above and below with an awl, ice pick, screwdriver, looking for soft spots
Mark the bad ones and take a picture of that, drive a nail down so you can identify which board are which from down to up.

Ok, so after removing basically all the particle board in the house, pretty much all of the boards look the same so Im not really worried about replacement of them. I see that they have 1/2 OSB or 1/2 plywood that can be installed on top of this. We are planning to use some kind of laminate flooring. Is there a good reason to choose plywood over OSB? I see that people prefer it but the cost is significantly higher. Is it difficult to level the floor with OSB or something?

We would like to stay with 1/2" on top of the T&G as there are several other floors we are meeting up to which still has the particle board installed and we do not want a height difference.

There is a product that looks like OSB for floors but I don't think it comes as thin as 1/2", OSB is more a wall sheeting material. I would use the plywood.

Back