sprinkler system

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
I'm installing a sprinkler systems at our home. The current design has the in-ground valve box located in a low part of our property that tends to accumulate water. During the winter I am concerned that the valve box will fill with water, freeze and damage the valves.

Is this a concern and/or should I relocate the control boxes to a higher location?

Depends on whether your in clay or sand and how prone your lawn is to having standing water for long periods. Freezing certainly would cause some unwanted effects to those plastic valves.

You might also consider changing sprinkler heads. I know Rainbird offers sprinklers with backflow stops which should keep your sprinkler box dry and it stops the noisy air in the line sound when the sprinklers are activated.

This is a concern. There are three questions you need to ask when finding a location for the valve boxes:

1. Will I have easy access to the valve box in the future?
Keep in mind the plants around it. You won't want them growing over because you will need to access it in the future.

2. Will anything be damaged if a valve breaks and floods the area?
Keep them away from window wells or plants that can't handle lots of water. Also think of your neighbors house.

3. Will water be able to drain away from the valve box so it doesn't always have water in it?
Water filled valve boxes make it harder to work in the box. Valves and solenoids are designed to function under water but poor wire connections could be damaged. There is also the problem of freezing during the winter.

Wayne
Sprinkler Bros

Back