Laying carpet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is something you can do. You can rent a carpet stretcher and get enough instructions from the web or a DIY book to do it.

You might even be able to buy good used carpet (try craigslist). A lot of people re-carpet to sell a house and the new owners rip it out right away and install their own color / style.

Speaking from experience, your better off having it installed.

I tore down 80% of my house and reframed it. but i wouldnt want to stretch carpet in place.

But i did carpet before. I got pre padded berber carpet and stapled it down. it turn out suprisingly good. and at $.80 a square foot it was priced right too.

Hello Shan:
You may be better off looking at remenants at the carpet store and buying room-sized rugs. Many carpet stores can serge the carpet for you so that all you have to do is take them home in rolls and roll them out on your floor, leaving wood floor border around the room.
I did that in an apartment once and was able to sell them again when we moved to our new home.
Glenn

Back