How can I stop radiator from rusting?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings everyone :):usa:, I'm new to the forum. I'm having a hard time with something and I'm finally getting myself on to a home improvement forum. I guess I'll get into my question. I'm refinishing a Sunrad reccessed radiator for a bedroom I am renovating. The other week I applied paint stripper to remove the old paint and then powerwashed the unit with my 3500 psi powerwasher. It cleaned up nice , but when I put the unit in my garage right after power washing the next morning the radiator was of full of surface rust.

I'm pretty sure I can power wash the surface rust off but how can I prevent the rust from coming back after the power washing? I can try to dry the water faster.. Is there a solution I can spray such as paint thinner to prevent the rust from returning?

Any rust inhibitor will work, as will WD-40, but I assume you are going to paint this, so I personally would use a torch (or a heat source) to get the water to dry without spraying on something.

If you are going to paint it you can use wd40 or any other oil even olive oil to keep it from getting that surface rust but then you will have to use some type of degreaser before painting. If you want to keep it metal looking out would recommend a clear coat.

Is this sheet metal or cast iron?

Either way, after power washing, it is going to have to be thoroughly dried, wiped down with lacquer thinner or similar product, scuffed (sheet metal)-media blasted (cast) and primed (self etching with sealer). The color goes over that.

No lubricants as they will interfere with paint adhesion.

Thanks for the fast responses.The radiator is cast iron. Would I be able to spray some lacquer thinner on the surface and let it evaporate on it's own? Or does it need to.be wiped down?

Can you post a photo so I can see exactly what we are working with?

CI is usually media (sand) blasted and then is ready for finish. Do you want color or original finish?

what you need is a rust converter (really! ) which is nothing more than phosphoric acid that changes rust into "iron phosphate" which is paintable and inhibits further rusting. check this out on amazon "Krud Kutter RX32 Rust Converter, 32-Ounce" though most paint suppliers will have something similar. What you will need after the preventative/converter is a heat resistant paint

what you need is a rust converter (really! ) which is nothing more than phosphoric acid that changes rust into "iron phosphate" which is paintable and inhibits further rusting. check this out on amazon "Krud Kutter RX32 Rust Converter, 32-Ounce" though most paint suppliers will have something similar. What you will need after the preventative/converter is a heat resistant paint
I've seen (and used) a can of spray-on rust killer that i found in the automotive store (among the cans of spray paint). is this the same kind of stuff?

if it turns the rust black, it's probably the same stuff.

Latest posts

Back