Frozen Electrician's Pliers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shackdweller

Reaction score
I made the mistake of puting my electrician's pliers in a damp place, and they became frozen in the closed position.

That was years ago, and at the time, I asked an electrician friend of many years experience, how to unfreeze the pliers.

He said to soak them in Coca Cola, or any other generic brand of cola, after which to put WD 40 on them.

Well, Saturday night, of last week, I finally bought a 2 liter bottle of generic Cola from Food Lion.

I put the pliers into a plastic jar, and poured in one liter of the Cola.

By today, the pliers will move just a very minute bit.

I poured out the now stale Cola and put in the rest of the liter this morning.

At the time, I didn't ask the electrician in great detail what to expect as to how long of a soaking it would take to unfreeze the pliers.

I'm sure we've got people on here with experience with this tood problem, so please let me know how long of a soaking it will take for the pliers to loosen up, from your own experience.

A little 3-n-1 oil and emery cloth will take 1/10 the time of soda and the soda will still be there for another slice of pizza.

As a kid my dad used coke to clean a rusty bumper and he told me don't drink coke it will eat you up like that. i didn't drink coke till i was 25.

PB blaster is the stuff. Get them free and coat them with fluid film.

To answer your question coke takes 39 hours 17 minutes and 6 seconds to free rusted electrician pliers.

On a side note.

As a kid the guy down the road wife had triplets and I said wow. My dad said he wasn’t surprised as the guy used a lot of 3 in 1 oil. I said no way. And he said he is just lucky he didn’t use WD40.

2c.gif
Buy a new pair of electrician's pliers.
Problem solved! :)

One thing I can't stand is when I try working with anything like pliers, long nose pliers etc. If I can't work them with one hand easily, I put them on the side as a back up and buy a new pair. I don't have time to mess with something like a pair of pliers that don't open and close freely.

Last edited:
2c.gif
Buy a new pair of electrician's pliers.
Problem solved! :)

One thing I can't stand is when I try working with anything like pliers, long nose pliers etc. If I can't work them with one hand easily, I put them on the side as a back up and buy a new pair. I don't have time to mess with something like a pair of pliers that don't open and close freely.

I agree but I find after the coke treatment they get a little sticky and when I’m up on a ladder I don’t drop them as often as they stick to my gloves.

If they move a little bit you should be able to get them working. Spray wd or oil on the joint and start wiggling them. They will eventually start moving further and further. Keep spraying as the rust comes out of the joint.

It might be easier if you grab one half in a vice and wiggle on the other half.

You could also try soaking in kerosene or diesel instead of cola. That will get oil into the joint.

If they move a little bit you should be able to get them working. Spray wd or oil on the joint and start wiggling them. They will eventually start moving further and further. Keep spraying as the rust comes out of the joint.

It might be easier if you grab one half in a vice and wiggle on the other half.

You could also try soaking in kerosene or diesel instead of cola. That will get oil into the joint.

If you mix diesel and trans fluid it works great.

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

This morning, I worked the pliers, and got them open all the way.

I have been told by one mechanic that WD 40 was water based, and it was better to use oil based penetratinig sprays.

Anyone else here heard that one?

Lately, I have been using petroleum jelly on tools and electrical connections.

Would that be an OK alternative to penetrating lube sprays?

When I was a kid I asked my dad what he bought petroleum jelly for? He said about a buck thirty.

:eek:

On a serious note try Fluidfilm. Greatest stuff since sliced bread.

Lately, I have been using petroleum jelly on tools and electrical connections.

Would that be an OK alternative to penetrating lube sprays?

Be careful. Petroleum jelly like Vasoline can break down the integrity of some plastics over a period of time (how long, don't know). So if the plastic is an insulator you may end up with a short.

Transmission fluid is an old mechanic's trick which works well (but not for electrical connections!). Compatible with all metals plus most rubbers and plastics, high lubricity, high heat breakdown point, pentrative, and has anti-oxidation additives for good corrosion protection. Great for freeing rusted piston rings in cast iron blocks and works equally well on pliers.

Phil

Latest posts

Back