Wrought Iron Gate

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy4ever

Reaction score
Hi
I have a large double driveway wrought iron gate. My dog is able to get through the bars and I need to install some perforated sheet metal so that she can't get out. I attached the heavy plastic fencing around the gate, but she tore it off. What can I say?

The gates have scrolls decorating the gate all along the bottom part of the panels and they are staggared on top. my dog is able to fit between the top and bottom scrolls.

Is there a way to attach the sheet metal without welding? What kind of tools would I need?

Thanks

NO! NO!! I used expanded metal to pen a puppy. He ended up with a badly cut nose.

Sheet metal will rust unless you paint it. Even then, the weather will eventually get at it. However, it is tougher than aluminum.

Without pics, I can't be sure what the dimensions are. Here are two options:

1. Standard galvanized chicken wire. Easy to apply, flexible, see-through, cheap, relatively weather resistant.

2. You can obtain a roll of 25" wide roof valley flashing and apply it with zip ties. This allows you to pickup the wrought iron in various places for strength. You can overlap the runs to get more coverage. Plus, it weathers well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Construc...ft-Aluminum-Valley-Flashing-RV2025A/202092849

Can't promise it will look all that good. Have you considered electrifying the fence? (Kidding)

FENCE.jpg

I know you said without welding. I put more verticals where the dog could fit through with the same material the rest of the gate was made of (square 1/2" steel) Looks good and stopped the dogs escape. I welded them though.

Back