Door bell wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AU_Prospector

Reaction score
My door bell doesnt work. Home built in 2002, I am the second owner. The first owner knew nothing about the home. Currently I use a remote control door bell that plugs into a wall socket, but the original bell system is in place I just cant seem to figure it out. I could live with this patch of a door bell, but like I said the original system seems to be there and wired and I am curious why it doesnt work. I have purchased a new door bell button switch and wired it to the two exposed wires at the door, but nothing. . .

At the door, there are 4 thin colored wires. Two are long and could be wired to a bell button, yellow and black. The other two (red and green) are trimmed to a nub and not connected. There is no slack in the two trimmed and they would not be usable.

At the wall there is a junction box with a transformer hard wired to home power. Also there is the bundle of 4 thin colored wires hopefully from the front door. There are 2 hard wire bundles coming into the box. The black wires from the bundles are attached to each other with a wire nut as are the white wires from the hard wire bundles. The transformer has 2 black wires and one green attached to it. The green wire is attached to the bare copper wires one each from the two hard wire bundles. It goes like this... black, black plus black from transformer in one nut; white, white plus one black from the transformer in one nut; and copper, copper plus green from transformer in another nut.

The green and red wires in the colored thin wire bundle are trimmed. The yellow wire is directly attached to the chime unit on the screw mount labeled "front". The black wire in the wire bundle is attached to the transformer in the "8V-6V 10VA connection. There is another thin black wire coming from one of the "load 24 V 20 VA" connections on the transformer to the load "transformer" connection on the chime.

It appears to be wired correctly, but I do not know. There is a front bell button only, not a back bell though the chime clearly could be wired to 2 different bell buttons. Maybe this is where the green and red wires come into play?

Only other thing I could add is with the transformer I would expect a slight vibration and maybe even a faint hum and some warmth if it were working, but there is nothing. Replace this? Keep in mind its nearly new.

Awww heck maybe I should move to a new home eh?:)

Take a volt meter and check for primary and secondary power at the transformer. This will tell you if the transformer is powered and/or bad.

kok328 has the right idea. Measure the incoming voltage on the primary side, should be 120 AC and hen check the output or secondary side this should be about 18 to 24 volts. I have seen where a new chime was installed with an old type of transformer that did not provide enough output voltage to run the newer chime. Be careful!!!

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have a small device with two leads and a small bulbs that checks for current. There was no current from the transformer outputs, however the home wiring was hot.

Went to the local ACE and purchased a $12 transformer, wired it up and presto! Doorbell works!

I plan on investing on a basic level II voltmeter soon! Seems like it might be a good thing to have around in the future.

Prospector

Back