Help with parts needed for 2 way shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I am building a custom shower in bathroom that I've recently gutted. I have not put of backer board yet, so I have full access to do whatever I need. My plan is to run a rain shower head from the ceiling and have a handheld mounted on the wall. I want to use only one at a time; I won't have any reason to run both simultaneously. My issue right now is that I don't completely understand what parts I need to accomplish this. Can I purchase a shower set and a handheld separately? Then I also need a 2 way diverter? I hope my question is clear.

I would say yes and yes...

How are you waterproofing this shower?

Your question has me thinking you don't know very much and waterproofing is very important more so than any valve selection....

You do realize that tile and backerboard is not waterproof....

I wouldn't wing a shower, or anything else for that matter.

swindmill said:
I wouldn't wing a shower, or anything else for that matter.

May I ask?.. this is coming out of the ceiling? The rain shower head
You want it to jump off your shower riser right?
Do you have tile on the ceiling now?

It's down to the studs right now. I haven't even laid the first mortar bed yet. The plumbing has been run to where I'll install the valve, so I plan to go to the ceiling from there. I also need to run a line to the handheld.

swindmill said:
It's down to the studs right now. I haven't even laid the first mortar bed yet. The plumbing has been run to where I'll install the valve, so I plan to go to the ceiling from there. I also need to run a line to the handheld.

Ok cool can you post picture.

This is in a finished attic space. I really just need to know the name/specs of the two valves I need in order to rough in the plumbing. I'm looking at a Price Pfister set, so I suppose I'll need Price Pfister valves, if that's what I'll be using.

6258934354_e8bf58ed5f.jpg

These are the two I'm thinking I need (I realize this is a 3 way and not a 2 way, which is fine):

6259048798_599e4f0c0a.jpg

6259048690_d63c2c1b7e.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen the other post about geen drywall, aparently it is not rated for ceilings unless the joists are 12" on center? The internet seems to agree>

nealtw said:
Have you seen the other post about geen drywall, aparently it is not rated for ceilings unless the joists are 12" on center? The internet seems to agree>

Yeah,
You can always sister the joists for extra hold. Hardiboard is even heavier.

Interesting. Is the green board not as strong? This is a 100 year old house, so the rafters aren't even 16" on center. There's not much I can do to add extra support between them without pulling out some of the spray foam, which I'd rather not do. I suppose I may have to in order to hang backer board in the shower area.

Are you planning on using greenboard in the shower?

Yeah. I'm going to tile the entire area; ceiling included(or what ceiling there is).

swindmill said:
Yeah. I'm going to tile the entire area; ceiling included(or what ceiling there is).

What size tiles are you using, textured, ceramic?

swindmill said:
I haven't decided on tile yet.

Well if you decide to go any bigger then 6" tile going up that angle ceiling make shore you butter the backs good and use roof nails to hold the tiles until dried serves as spacer and to hold the tile just a FYI.

That's what I was trying to get at when I asked how you were waterproofing the shower...

Excellent choice!

I watch Mike Holmes enough to know it's the right way to do it :D.

I went ahead and got those two Price Pfister valves, only I put an extra few dollars and got the valve with stops. I plan on using Kenzo line of shower trim.

I also got the first mortar bed in this afternoon, and I'm thrilled with the outcome, considering I had never even mixed mortar before today. I followed these instructions in detail, which I found linked on this site some time ago.

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

I'm thinking I will need to carve out a little spray foam to add in supports for the backer board on the sloped ceiling. I'm hate to do it, but it makes sense.

Back