Brick veneer and pouring replacement door sill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squatch

Reaction score
Forgive my incorrect terminology and correct me where needed. What you are seeing in pictures is a missing foundation block exposing crawl space and exposed sill plate and rim joist.

The siutation: single-story 60's era brick veneer house on a crawl with brick steps that my wife wanted removed and replaced with a small deck. My neighbor brought his smaller excavator over to remove the steps for me and in his zeal the original concrete door sill and a foundation block came out with the steps. I need to replace the foundation block and then build something up from the block to the door.

I will be constructing a self-supporting deck up to the house and door so nothing below the door is expected to be very visible once the deck is built, so proper function over appearance is of concern.

My two theories are mortar in a new foundation block and either:
1. Lay bricks on top of the cement foundation blocks up to the door which doesn't seem like a good idea because it wouldn't be a smooth top surface for the door.
2. My preferred theory is to fill the entire void with concrete but I know nothing about if it will crack my brick veneer over time, how to secure it so it doesn't fall out, leak water into the crawl, permit bugs, how to form it, or anything else.

I am not experienced/knowledgeable about either approach. I am wanting to ensure no chance of moisture or anything that can mess up the framing behind.

Ideas/opinions on best solution? With the right information I can be pretty capable but without the right information it can be a disaster.

IQFh9Ul.jpg

3QiNeah.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. There are no hard feelings at all.

I did find some info in this thread http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/...ils/31510-house-to-patio-transition-detailing where the solution in this case involved flashing the rim joist and sill plate but it doesn't clear all of my questions.

Of note, I live in a wood destroying insect area and the house has evidence of prior termite damage and mitigation - I've seen/found nothing in the years we've been here to indicate a current issue and want to keep it that way. Upon removing these steps it appears this was the point of entry evidenced by damaged sill plate, so I want to make sure it stays sealed.

Welcome as well. :welcome:

I would replace the block like you suggested and I think I would salvage enough brick out of the rubble to fill in the opening it will then all match the house and down the road if you or the next owner wants steps back or something nothing would show.

I’m not an expert and I would actually ask the group here also just as you did and then look at all the ideas and pick the one I like best.

Did all the brick break in a straight line. As all this is under the door perhaps just grey brick would look ok. Clean off the mud, paint the exposed wood with end grain treatment. for treated lumber cut.
Tar paper over the wood.

To do this right the missing concrete block needs to be replace, the existing brick need to be "toothed" which just means cutting out and removing any of the short bricks, cover the exposed wood with tar paper, add some brick ties then weaving in new bricks.
There's nothing special about that common brick, unless you have lots of free time on your hand I'd just buy new bricks.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-22-Gauge-Brick-Tie-100-Pack-BT-R100/100375148

Everyone, thanks for the info, this was exactly what I needed! I did the brick work yesterday and it worked out well except for forgetting to use the brick ties I'd bought. I also ended up replacing the foundation block to the right of the missing one because it was split in half and was no longer held in place other than via gravity. The red brick work isn't real pretty as it looks like someone's first attempt at doing brick work, but that's what it is and it won't be visible once the deck is in place. I greatly appreciate the info!

I'll get a picture of the results later this week; my phone broke last week which has resulted in a big drop in my internet usage until the replacement I bought arrives in about a week.

Back