Installing a frameless door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meowmichelle

Reaction score
I would like to replace a traditional framed door with a frameless door, the type you see in houses/movies from the 1950's. The finished look is of a smooth transition from door to wall, with only the knob protruding.

It would seem that there would need to be studs surrounding the frame and the door jam goes directly into the frame. I am having difficulty finding anything online discussing this process.

Any thoughts, please? (and I do not want to simply put in a door/frame kit)

Thanks.

Door frames and trim are all about speed of building with a pre hung door and oversized rough in and shims. Then hide it all behind some trim. I just built an arch way between rooms that has no trim. I would do it similar with corner bead and plaster and compound with the exception of the inner frame / cover can't be drywall it will have to be wood that can take the hinges on one side and latch plate the other. The framing will all have to be close an allow for the built in place jamb then corner bead. The outside surface can be finished with compound. The jam surface I would finish with auto body filler. Bondo or equivalent polyester resin compound. It sands nice and will stick to wood and not chip in a doorway.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Welcome to the site. Attention will have to be paid to the rough frame. This system will have different measurements.

I would like to replace a traditional framed door with a frameless door, the type you see in houses/movies from the 1950's. The finished look is of a smooth transition from door to wall, with only the knob protruding.

It would seem that there would need to be studs surrounding the frame and the door jam goes directly into the frame. I am having difficulty finding anything online discussing this process.

Any thoughts, please? (and I do not want to simply put in a door/frame kit)

Thanks.

I've used a TIMELY frame with the casing clips removed, top and bottom pivot hdwr. and a variety of closing devices from standard lock set to high security.

We hang the sheets with the edges around the door opening, which affords a flush installation, because the punched rail of the jamb is inset the depth of the narrowed sheet edge.

repairing a dented corner must be a ---------, much like those wonderful rounded corner beads.

repairing a dented corner must be a ---------, much like those wonderful rounded corner beads.

You mean the "funshwey" (SP) corner beads.

Just like body work on s car.

Back