Garage Insulating Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redskinfan78

Reaction score
My wife and I built a new house just outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm considering insulating my attached garage (43 x25)but i would need to insulate 3 walls(one wall being the double door, and single door) and the attic. i'm pricing it out and it may be out of my price range to do the whole project but I was thinking of maybe doing the exterior walls and leaving the attic to a later date. The reason I'm thinking about doing the exterior walls is because of the cold winters and the longest wall faces north. I do have plans of putting radiant heat in down the road. I realize that heat rises and I should do the attic also but I was just hoping to get some feed back?

Redskin,
you could do it in steps like you mentioned, but until you do the ceiling, any heat you try to put in there will go right up and out. Not sure what you are using for insulation, but here in northern Ohio, I use fiberglass bats for 2 x 4 walls rated at R-13, for the ceiling fiberglass bats 5 1/2" thick rated R-19. For our winters, this works pretty well. It makes the garages easy and quick to heat. I use direct vent natural gas furnaces that are input rated at 62,000 btu's, in my three garages. The biggest area is 28' x 36' with a cathedral ceiling at 15'. In the cold days of winter, the garage will heat up in 15-20 minutes and then the furnace will cycle on and off once in awhile.
Mike Hawkins:)

I agree with firehawk that the ceiling is most important, but if you have no drywall in the garage now you do want to insulate and add vapour barrier to the walls and ceiling. An attic access is 22" x 28 inches and should be 16" high if you plan on blown in insulation later.

Back