Next Project... Opinions...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeterson

Reaction score
I have attached a couple of pictures of the fireplace in the family room. As you can see, the carpet is rolled up to the granite tile, with no trim between the tile and carpeted areas. Any opinions on what I should trim this out with? Thanks!

Jeff

100_0497.jpg

100_0498.jpg

Metal J moulding comes to mind but I really don't think it would look right there.
Really, the best option is exactly what you have, just a roll and tuck with clean, straight lines.

BUT

In older homes, there will usually be a hardwood moulding around the tile. Shaped in a sort of a T, the moulding laps over the tile on one side and over the carpet on the other. The carpet must be cut back or tucked under enough to get the moulding (bottom of the T) fastened directly to the floor.
I suppose it could be painted or finished in a lot of different ways.

You mean there is no shoe molding under the baseboard at the tiled area?
Just match what is at the pillar, looks like a basic Brosco molding from here.
End it just as the hardwood was done.
Or you could just change all those little bottom pieces, one 8 footer should do.:)

If you mean the tile and carpet connection, good luck, there is no nice solution. Even some trim there will look out of place, I would leave it alone and work down your list.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. The carpet guys did a nice job of rolling the carpet into the tile, so, I think I'll concur and just leave it alone. That whole fireplace mantel and surround was handbuilt (not by me), except for the pillars that were commercially produced. What was there before was terrible... just three pieces of case trim, and some really ugly green tile.

I think that is a very nice mantle you have, I would hate to see you pull your eye away from it with some trim on the floor.

So what's next on the to do list?.:D

Next project..... Crown moulding..... I have a bunch of strange ceiling angles, so, I definitely will be posting pictures for opinions and advice...

Ha-ha! InspectorD and I have probably seen your strange angles before. Daryl In Nanoose is also a good crown guy. Daryl and InspectorD have good pics in photo albums here, Check them out!

I'm glad you decided to leave it as is. I think it looks great and any kind of trim would look funny there.

Thanks for the replies... new pictures and projects coming soon...

Jeff

Back