paint didn't adhere

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallDIYguy

Reaction score
The contractor who painted the interior of my house recently really goofed up the laundry room. I’m having difficulty getting him to come back and fix his mistake, and I’m not sure I even want him involved. So, I may be forced to fix this myself, but I need advise.

Here’s the problem: the paint did not adhere. Large patches of it could easily be peeled off; other areas have sort of adhered, but the paint is still soft (after more than a year) and can be easily scratched with a fingernail. I assume this problem was caused by improper surface preparation and that the new paint will all have to be removed. My question: how do I get this new paint off the walls and ceiling, without damaging the orange-peel texture?

All advice and suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Jim Bakker
Carmichael, CA

Welcome Jim:
It sounds like you had a film of fabric softener that had vaporized and condensed on the walls. Try a scrub brush with a solution of TSP in water. I think that will remove the soft paint and the fabric softener film. Then start back with Kilz primer and a semi-gloss enamel (oil based) finish. The oil-based enamel has a better chance to resist the moisture and fabric softener.
Glenn

Welcome Jim:
It sounds like you had a film of fabric softener that had vaporized and condensed on the walls. Try a scrub brush with a solution of TSP in water. I think that will remove the soft paint and the fabric softener film. Then start back with Kilz primer and a semi-gloss enamel (oil based) finish. The oil-based enamel has a better chance to resist the moisture and fabric softener.
Glenn
Warm water works best I found

Hey tallDIYguy, in the market you will get some special variations of water which you can apply on the wall by brush. There are some chemicals available at your disposal.You can check them too . From now, try to do magnetic painting instead of conventional painting. It reduces such chances in future. Good luck!

Magnetic painting, Lira? The sheetrock can't be magnetized. Are you talking about powder paint that uses electric fields for adhesion?
This is something new on me; please explain.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back