Please help. Painting logo on glass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonNagual

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for this wonderful forum. I hope someone has some time to give me some advice.

I am opening my own English School here in Tokyo Japan and looking to save costs. Rather than pay someone to make signs for me, I thinking of using masking tape to make a template of my school name on the glass, and spray paint the logo.

I am afraid that after the paint has dried, once I go to take the tape off, that either a) the lettering paint will crack when I take the tape off, or b) I won't be able to cleanly remove the tape (i.e, some tape glue will remain stuck on the window).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for when buying, or suggestions on best way to go about doing what I plan to do? Any advice, comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance all!

You could remove the tape before the paint completely dries. This is a problem with all types of paint. I try to remove tape while the paint is still tacky. Good auto body painters often have an unfair advantage in that there is a separation between trim and body panels. Not so with the majority of my painting situations. Some people use a razor knife along the edge of the tape to cut the paint loose from the tape. Then removal is easy. One more thing, When you pull the tape off, DO NOT pull straight out on the tape. Pull the tape back close to the surface and away from the line. This kind of doubles the tape back on itself. This usually breaks a pretty clean line on the edge of the tape.

Tom in KY, I try to NOT use tape every chance I get.

Follow Square Eye's suggestion on removal. With painters tape you might get some bleed thru using spraypaint. Regular scotch type tape will give you a better line. It is a little harder to remove but will do the job better. Use the good tape. If it doesn't work out you can always scrape it off and start over.

Window cling letters and character work well to or viynl letters from a sign company, the internet is a great tool some places will do a bang up job...remenber you want to make a GREAT impression. Do not skimp on your "advertising". Plus the viynl will hold up better when cleaning up around the door or window.

Don, I have done this several times with great success. Cut out what you want from a sheet of contact paper. The old type vinyl peal and stick stuff for shelf liners. Apply the contact paper to the glass. Spray with glass frosting spray or brush on frosting. the glass frosting has something in it to help it stick to the glass better then normal paint. After the frosting dries them spray or brush on the paint you want for the lettering or logo. Just before the paint is dry, peal off the contact paper and you wuill have sharp clear lines without any peeling or puled edges.

Back