Wooden Storm Windows?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the missing wooden removable storm windows in my circa 1895 basement. They are held in place by metal tabs that you twist. Problem is, where to find them? Does anybody know of companies that make windows in various sizes? Natch, the big box stores have nothing and know nothing.

Pictured is one of the window casings that is missing the storm (and also has no screen, them I need to find too).

Thanks!

vince

11-22-09 Pics 012.jpg

And if you can not find a supplier, you could have someone (or yourself) build you some replacements using the windows you already have as a pattern. It would not be that hard to do for a person with even minimal woodworking skills.

Thanks, Neal. I shoulda googled....lots out there!

Drywallinfo.....I agree, it wouldn't be too hard, but I have plenty of other house and woodworking projects to do and thought I might be able to save myself some time and aggravation by buying some already built. I also have some interior storms and sashes that I will need built as well.

vince

Why not replace them with vinyl windows? Look at the window it is already half rot. The very least i would use treated lumber. You should put a window well install.
window-well.jpg

Why suggest vinyl when I'm looking for wooden storms?

Vinyl doesn't have a good track record that I'm aware of and can't be repaired easily. Some of the entire windows I need to replace in the house are plastic/vinyl ones, supposed to be the best on the market at the time. They are in far worse condition than the original 118 year old windows they thought they were improving on for more than just 10 or so years.

Besides, vinyl just looks terrible on old Victorian houses. Many people have commented on how I'm so lucky to have most of the original windows in the house. When I looked at houses before buying this one, I pretty much eliminated all the houses that had newly installed (read cheap) vinyl ones. Definitely hurts the resale value big time unless the house is just being used as a rental.

The well frame pictured looks a lot worse than it is. It's the best picture I have on my computer, though. I've had some good success on cleaning up and repairing the other wells. Definitely yes on the treated lumber, though.

If you look at the picture again, you should be able to see that the entire window is above ground. The well just doesn't make sense and would look like a redneck solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Latest posts

Back