wriggly critters! keep or not.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racsan

getting in gear
Reaction score
with spring i have found a pair of garter snakes, while im not a big fan of them , could they be of good use rather than evicting them? as long as i see them first they dont bother me much, id hate to be surprized though.
90-115075.jpg
they are not as big as it seems, only about 8-10 inches long, that "thing" behind them was a cut-off end of a pine cone.

Hello Racsan:
Those snakes are rodent deterents (they eat mice). Some folks like to have them and Black snakes around for rodent control. If you or your wife have apprehensions about them, its time to get rid of them.
Glenn

im thinking this pair is a male/female. one has slightly different coloring than the other. wife isnt too happy about them. theyve been in the same area and i think there nesting under a flower bed. im thinking i should evict them, if it is indeed a pair, more will follow!

They are harmless. I'd leave them alone and be glad for the fortune of living somewhere with a healthy enough environment to host these guys. With roads and sprawl, it is harder and harder for such critters to live. And they'll pay you back with keeping the mice at bay.

Garter snakes are not completely harmless. It has been determined that the saliva of the snake actually is slightly toxic. It's toxic to small animals that they prey on. For a human it can cause swelling or a burning rash.

Garter snakes are not completely harmless. It has been determined that the saliva of the snake actually is slightly toxic. It's toxic to small animals that they prey on. For a human it can cause swelling or a burning rash.

I think you could say the same for humans...:D

I live in the country, we have these guy's all over the place...plus plenty of extra snakes and varmints you never see.
We had a mountain lion 2 weeks ago...leave the snakes.:D
Think of it this way, if you did not see them they are not there, right?:)

Think of it this way, if you did not see them they are not there, right?:)

Exactly...while doing some landscaping and overturning dirt I found a snake. Not sure what it was (though I looked up local poisonous snakes in my area and didn't see anything that looked like it) but it went underground and seemed to be afraid of me...so I'm just gonna forget and let it go on about it's business.

I'd slice them in half with a shovel...

Thats once I was done squealing like a little girl

Back