can anyone tell me what this kind of molding is called? and possibly where to find it

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatDoody

Fabricator
Reaction score
I purchased a 50's home that needs some repairs and finishing it has this baseboard running around the entire house, and I would like to replace/repair what is there to keep the charm it has. Its mostly a 1x6 board with a cap piece on it I am attaching a photo of the profile of it. I cant seem to find it in the box stores, and Ive looked on a few mill work websites with no luck..

IMG_1568[1].jpg

It is a simlpe 1x with a cap moulding, finding may not be so easy,
There are mills that will make any profile you want but, they usually require a min. of 1000 lf or so, and it is not cheap.
When I was in NJ I used Dykes lumber for my specialty mouldings but not sure if they will have that one.
Charlie O

It's called base cap moulding. What you have there is a really old style and most likly was made by a local mill only. Every old mill had there own knives custom made.
If your lucky they may still be in business. 50 years ago no one when more then a few miles to get supplys so start looking for some lumber supplys in your area that have been around awhile.

I think I found what I need here:
Wholesale Millwork

And a local lumber yard supplies it, first bit of luck I've had with this project so far lol. thanks for the replies everyone.

Back