edge blocking 5/8" cdx plywood subfloor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sansmoto

Reaction score
so, i'm having new flooring put in my hallway - long story short, we need new subfloor.

existing is 1x6 on a diagonal. that's all cut up and laying plywood. there was a seam cut on the 1x6's on one wall of the hallway, as shown below. the 1x6's continue into the next room. joists are in red, lol.

do i need to block the seam all the way down as shown below? I've read that edge blocking isn't required when using 5/8" cdx.

blocking.JPG

Absolutely you have to block. Why are you using CDX? CDX is not subfloor grade. CDX is sheathing for utility or exterior wall cladding under siding or (?).

Jaz

What are your plans for the floor? Carpet, tile, laminate. Or hardwood? People who use cdx don't like to commercialize it but it's ok to use but not recommend nor product warranty will allow therefore leaves you with advantech T&G, it's your call on what you want to use.

leaves you with advantech T&G

And why is that? Isn't plywood subfloor available where you live?

Jaz

long story, but i did block off the edge.

and i used PS2-10 plywood....whatever that means. hallway is only 44" wide, so less than a sheet width.

hardwood on top. well, another 1/2" underlayment then hardwood.

Latest posts

Back