Where is my Toilet Water going?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvguy64

Reaction score
My Toilet tank is leaking, as evident by the water tank level going down, and the tank then refilling constantly. I have ruled out leaks from the bolts and from the water inlet valve and hose. I have noticed that the water only goes as low as the rubber flush valve in the tank. So my guess is that is where the leak is.. But if this is correct, how come no more water continues to go into the bowl of the toilet? (in other words, would the bowl keep filling up till it overflows?) My understanding is that the tank water goes into the bowl via the flush valve... Thus, if this is where the leak is, wouldn't the bowl overflow? Or, if not, where and how is the water going? I want to make sure I am repairing the right thing before I replace anything! Thanks!!!

Welcome to the site: The level of the water is set by how the toilet is made, or the level of the trap built into the toilet. It will never fill beyond that level except when flushed, the drain may not be able to descharge the water as fast as it is coming in. You can add colour to thew water in the tank to prove that the valve is leaking but in most cases the flapper valve is only a few bucks and two
minute fix.

Hey ATV, welcome to the zoo! Remember to provide pics if you can. Also remember to "Like" if anyone gives you useful and timely advice.

I had a situation like this quite recently with an aged woman's house ... her toilet was cycling about every 10 minutes for months! Believe it or not, your water is going into the main bowl at a very slow rate then down the drain. As the water leaves, it drains the toilet tank until the float activates the refill. You should remove the water tank and rebuild the toilet flush valve seat and/or replace the flush mechanism. It is easy because you only have a few parts and they are simple enough to install.

Parts are readily a available at Home Depot and not expensive. GO FOR IT! :D

toilet.jpg

Replace the flapper and clean the flapper seat. If you use the toilet tank bleach tablets, you may need to replace the flapper more frequently.

Replacing the flapper usually fixes it. No need to replace the entire flush assy. And make sure the chain is not too tight and holding the flapper up.

Add some food coloring to the water in the tank. Then look for water trickling into the bowl over a period of time. This will confirm the flapper is bad.

As said above, start small with a flapper replacement. It's important to match the type of toilet with the type of flapper, also. Most big box stores carry all of the major labels so look for a manufacturer name printed on the bowl where the seat mounts or inside the tank/inside the tank lid. Universal kits aren't always a perfect match, but with the right info the rep at the store should be able to help you.With a new flapper properly seated, you should stop the leak.
If you still have leaking, the flush valve could be leaking through. That would involve a bit more work, as the other guys have pointed out. Take a few pics, if you can. They always help.

I have only one other thing to add. When purchasing replacement valves and gaskets, be sure that the description says that the rubber is chlorine (or other chemical) resistant. Rubber products that were used in toilets were found to be readily attacked by the water (chlorine) treatment products people like to put in their tanks. Some people usually find this problem when they get black streaks in the toilet bowl due to the rubber gasket between the tank and bowl dissolving. It was usually black in the past.

Back