TV has it's own mind...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handy

Reaction score
This is getting frustrating. We have a 42" Samsung LCD flatscreen TV that's not quite a year old. From time to time the darn thing will just simply change the channel all by itself. Last night we're trying to watch a show and suddenly the thing zipped up two or three channels, just like someone used the remote, but the remote was sitting on the couch between my wife and I. Changed the channel back and about 5 minutes later it did it again. Think it did that three or four times.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? What actually changes the channel in the TV anyway? Sure is a pain in the neck, and no, I don't really believe in ghosts...LOL :confused:

Ghost or some other type of invisible man. Do your neighbors have the same TV. You could be receiving interference from them.

Sounds like your neighbors are gettin free cable....or you are.:D
I would call the manufacturer, see if it is a recall.

That reminds me of when we bought our last new car, it had the channel changer for the radio on the steering wheel. Well the first ride that we took together when we stopped at a stop light I pushed the button to change stations and I thought she was going to freak out because the stations were changing by them selves. "We have to take this thing back RIGHT NOW" Needless to say I had a little more fun (at her expense I might add) till she figured out what I was up to. Oh well another night on the couch.

Handy, do you think you could be getting interference from someone else's remote? Just a thought.

I don't know what the typical range is of a TV remote, but my closest neighbor is across the street. Also, my TV is in a corner of the room which places the back of the TV towards all neighbors and both walls of the corner are concrete block, if that would matter. I'm guessing it about has to be some kind of interference, but haven't got a clue as to the source. Makes it difficult to try to prevent it from happening.

Quite the curious situation...

I would check to see if any of your neighbors is using their garage door opener when your TV goes nutz.

Maybe contact the manufacturer. There should be some way to change the frequency of your TV and remote and that will hopefully prevent interference with whatever is causing the problem now.

I don't know what the typical range is of a TV remote, but my closest neighbor is across the street. Also, my TV is in a corner of the room which places the back of the TV towards all neighbors and both walls of the corner are concrete block, if that would matter. I'm guessing it about has to be some kind of interference, but haven't got a clue as to the source. Makes it difficult to try to prevent it from happening.

Quite the curious situation...

I had a neighbor that had the same garage door opener that I had. Every time they hit there button or I hit mine it would open the others. I ended up getting a hold of the factory and they changed my signal.

OK, I will bite. If the remote is infrared (meaning you need to point it at the TV) and not RF (meaning it can be used in the next room) then I doubt you are getting interference.

Some Satellite TV tuners use RF remotes (Dish Network, etc)

If its not RF and the manufacturer doesn't have a known issues. I would suspect a bad remote. The contacts can become corroded or worn. My guess is this would never happen if the remote were in a drawer. The usually symptom is button presses not working but I have also seen buttons doing the wrong thing or double presses. If this happens with a regular frequency try hiding the remote ad see if it happens. If it doesnt a new remote may be called for.

If you are adventuresome, you could try taking the remote apart and cleaning the contacts under the buttons with a pencil eraser.

Good luck

I wouldn't do that it'll void the warranty if there is one then your in even more of a mess. Just contact the manufacturer and have them help you.

Back