Tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landp

Reaction score
I want to raise my grout to be even with my kitchen floor tile. I hear you have to dig it all out and redo it. But WHY.

Grout is not all that strong, believe it or not. If you have a thin gap for the new grout, it might chip out. You are better off with a deeper line because it is stronger.

Sorry man ... mistakes hurt. Try an angle grinder and a lot of patience. :D

Sorry ... been there and hated that ... Try removing an entire floor of grout with a grout "removal tool", aka a grout saw. You will die!

I have removed grout using a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a masonry blade. It will rip throught the floor in no time. Use that tedious grout saw for tight spaces where the disk blade cannot reach.

Once you are done, use a shop vac to pick up the dust and fragments. Go about regrouting per usual.

You will be glad you used the grinder ...

GRINDER.jpg

Honestly, I don't have it in me to do all that. I thought about ignoring wise advice and adding grout to the top then some sort of glaze over everything to seal it in. : )

Landp said:
Honestly, I don't have it in me to do all that. I thought about ignoring wise advice and adding grout to the top then some sort of glaze over everything to seal it in. : )

No one can make you do it right, it's your house. One thing for sure you will get lots of practice doing it that way.

I would not use a grout saw and not us an angle grinder. A multi-tool with the grout removal blade is the way. The relevant part of this video starts at 5:20. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8uWoT5XJdw[/ame]

Jaz

Back