What do I do with this kitchen?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbird501

Reaction score
I want to keep the old country feel, but it is just REALLY dirty. It was a farming property since it was built in 1960, and my great-grandmother liked being in the fields and not in the house. lol. So what do we do with it now. Murphys wood soap, did not do very much for it at all. I will attach pictures.

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4097.jpg

DSC_4098.jpg

DSC_4100.jpg

DSC_4099.jpg

Its a 50's look, but probably goes well in a farm environment. If you want to keep the country look, you could refinish the cabinets and upgrade the hardware. I'd also upgrade the floor to tile. The counter looks OK from what I could see.

1. Remove the cabinet doors and hardware.
2. Strip the finish on the cabinet frame.
3. Strip the finish on the cabinte doors.
4. Do something about that peice of plywood to the right of the sink.
5. Take up the old linoleum and replace with ceramic tile.
6. Buy new cabinet hardware. You may have to patch a few holes if the new doesn't match the old.
7. Stain and poly the cabinet frame and doors.
8. Remount the cabinet doors.

Now I realize there are a lot of decisions and details from the simple steps outlined above, but you will be able to find better details on the forum than I can provide.

if you really want to keep that country feel forget about oils and soap! elbow grease will be your best solution! just like con65 said stripping and sanding.....but you might be better off if it's in your budget to purchase new cabinets, countertop and floor. you can find old style country cabinets with all the new amenities and by the time you figure all the labor involved with refinishing old cabinets you may be better off and happier with new ones.

You have different ways to remodel this kitchen by redoing a cabinet and not everything would be a simple matter of coating paint. Let me explain this a bit further:

If you find your cabinets greasy and dirty,(as is your case) using good bleach would be the initial step for giving these worn cabinets a brand new appeal. A solution of linseed oil, bleach and boiling water will clean your cabinets thoroughly make their appearance very bright. If you see that bleaching is just not sufficient, you can strip off the old paint of finish from the wood cabinet and coat it with new finish. If you wish to retain the color of grain and wood, you can always have the wood stained and apply a single or two coats of polyurethane for protecting the finish.

If you wish to have a complete new look, choose the paint color which would go well with your home decor and pick a brush. Using special techniques for painting like rag rolling or sponging, you can add texture and dimension too for your cabinets.

Silverbird, do you have an update for us? I would love to see what you've gotten done.

Thats one heck of a clean up job before you. But looks like it would be worth the effort. You might want to consider having the doors and draws of the lower cabinets replaced. Looks like plywood with a varnish finish so shouldn't be too expensive. Save orginal hardware, they should clean up fairly easy. Replace floor, quarter round, and window treatment.

Just some minor furnishing and repaint I guess is good enough... :)

Its a 50's look, but probably goes well in a farm environment. If you want to keep the country look, you could refinish the cabinets and upgrade the hardware. I'd also upgrade the floor to tile. The counter looks OK from what I could see.

1. Remove the cabinet doors and hardware.
2. Strip the finish on the cabinet frame.
3. Strip the finish on the cabinte doors.
4. Do something about that peice of plywood to the right of the sink.
5. Take up the old linoleum and replace with ceramic tile.
6. Buy new cabinet hardware. You may have to patch a few holes if the new doesn't match the old.
7. Stain and poly the cabinet frame and doors.
8. Remount the cabinet doors.

Now I realize there are a lot of decisions and details from the simple steps outlined above, but you will be able to find better details on the forum than I can provide.

This is a Good Tips! Please follow it!
Thanks

Jamie

Back