NorCal Drought Plants and Bamboo Options?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickVallejo

Reaction score
Hey folks not sure if this should go here or the decoration area. Seems like more of a 'what kinda plants work best' topic.

I recently moved to the bay area of northern California and finally have a yard to work with. HERE'S A PIC. I have a little front yard. It's pretty tiny, about 15 x 15ish; but I like restrictive challenges. Basically, I want some drought-resistant grasses and bigger plants. Can anyone recommend some good, larger draught-efficient plants that AREN'T succulents? I have plenty of those inside the house.

I also want to put some bamboo in a long, narrow box and plant it along the yardline (privacy). Which type can I control the best?

AND of course I want my focal point to be this Sasquatch statue. Because... hey I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I need a proper diplomat for visitors to meet upon arrival to my house.

Any recs from folks in the area?

Bamboo is an extremely invasive species. You mentioned placing it into a box in the ground, and I too was told this is the way to control bamboo from taking over your entire yard.

Go with native species for the best drought resistance for your area. Work with a local nursery, not big blue or big orange, for planting suggestions.

make sure you use a clumping bamboo, or make plans to sell your house

Back